Max. velocity with given coefficient of static friction (μ_s)

In summary: You're asking for a hint about what to do next, but unfortunately I can't really help you with that. Sorry.
Hendrick

Homework Statement

A car goes around a curved stretch of flat roadway of radius R = 104.5 m. The magnitudes of the horizontal and vertical components of force the car exerts on a securely seated passenger are, respectively, X = 236.0 N and Y = 572.0 N.

This stretch of highway is a notorious hazard during the winter months when it can be quite slippery. Accordingly the DMV decides to bank it at an angle φ = 23.5 ° to the horizontal.

(1) What is the maximum speed at which the car could safely negotiate this banked curve during a wintry night when the coefficient of static friction between the road and tyres is μs = 0.24 ?

Homework Equations

F_s = (m*v^2)/r
F_s = μ_s * n
n = m*g
where n is the normal force and μ_s is the coefficient static friction.

The Attempt at a Solution

v = ((F_s*r)/m)^1/2
v = ((μ_s*n*r)/m)^1/2
v = ((μ_s*m*g*r)/m)^1/2
v = (μ_s*g*r)^1/2

v = (0.24*9.81*104.5)^1/2 * 3.6 (to convert ms^-1 to kmh^-1)
= 56.5 kmh^-1 (3sf)

Actual answer is 100 kmh^-1 (to 3sf)

Physics news on Phys.org
For one thing, you didn't take into account that the curve is now banked at an angle of 23.5 degrees. That's important.

the equations should be:
[tex]fcos(\phi)-\frac{mv^2sin(\phi)}{R}-Nsin(\phi)=0[/tex]
[tex]mg-Ncos(\phi)-fsin(\phi)=0[/tex]
with the appropiate sketch it's also understood why.
and ofcourse f=mu*N.

Last edited:
loop quantum gravity said:
the equations should be:
[tex]fcos(\phi)-\frac{mv^2sin(\phi)}{R}-Nsin(\phi)=0[/tex]
[tex]mg-Ncos(\phi)-fsin(\phi)=0[/tex]
with the appropiate sketch it's also understood why.
and ofcourse f=mu*N.

I still don't quite understand why I can't use the v = (μ_s*g*r)^1/2 formula.
For this question I used it:

At what speed could the car now negotiate this curve without needing to rely on any frictional force to prevent it slipping upwards or downwards on the banked surface?

v = (μ_s*g*r)^1/2
v = (tanφ*g*r)^1/2
v = (tan23.5*9.81*104.5)^1/2 * 3.6 (to convert ms^-1 to kmh^-1)
= 76.0 kmh^-1 (3sf)

you can't use this formula, cause the force diagram of yours is incorrect.
i reackon you have a sketch of the problem, look at it and then draw the forces.
this question is a question of statics, the maximum speed is reached when there it neither slips to the sideways or inwards of the road, this we get when the net force is zero.

loop quantum gravity said:
you can't use this formula, cause the force diagram of yours is incorrect.
i reackon you have a sketch of the problem, look at it and then draw the forces.
this question is a question of statics, the maximum speed is reached when there it neither slips to the sideways or inwards of the road, this we get when the net force is zero.

I did draw a diagram originally to get part a of the question and it was right. The only thing that has changed is that they gave me a coefficient of static friction. It should be the same diagram still since the angle of 23.5 degrees still applies...

I got two questions from it (the x and y components):

1) Sigma F_x = m.g.sinφ - F_s = m.a_x = 0
2) Sigma F_y = n - m.g.cosφ = m.a_y = 0

I have tried using your equations in every way but I get no where near the answer, would you be so kind and provide me with a helpful hint to steer me in the right direction? I'm really going around in circles at the moment :(...

---Thanks

Last edited:

1. How is the maximum velocity calculated with a given coefficient of static friction?

The maximum velocity can be calculated using the formula v = √(μ_s * g * r), where μ_s is the coefficient of static friction, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and r is the radius of the object in motion.

2. What is the significance of the coefficient of static friction in determining maximum velocity?

The coefficient of static friction represents the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact. It is a key factor in determining the maximum velocity of an object as it indicates the maximum force that can be applied before the object starts moving.

3. How does the coefficient of static friction affect the maximum velocity of an object?

As the coefficient of static friction increases, the maximum velocity of an object decreases. This is because a higher coefficient of static friction indicates a higher level of resistance between the two surfaces, making it harder for the object to overcome the force of friction and reach higher speeds.

4. What is the relationship between the coefficient of static friction and the surface area of contact?

The coefficient of static friction is independent of the surface area of contact. It only depends on the nature of the two surfaces in contact. However, the surface area of contact can indirectly affect the maximum velocity by increasing or decreasing the overall friction force acting on the object.

5. How does the coefficient of static friction differ from the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of static friction is the measure of the force required to overcome the initial resistance and set an object in motion, while the coefficient of kinetic friction is the measure of the force required to keep an object in motion at a constant speed. The coefficient of kinetic friction is generally lower than the coefficient of static friction as it represents the force needed to overcome the lower level of resistance between surfaces in motion.