Understanding Impulse and Momentum: Explained for High School Physics Students

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of impulse and momentum in relation to stopping two cars of equal mass and velocity. The book's explanation of these concepts is not precise, as impulse is not equal to momentum in magnitude or direction. To stop a car, the momentum must be changed from m\vec v to 0, which requires an exertion of force for a certain amount of time. This can be achieved with a strong force for a short time or a weaker force for a longer time. The product of force and time must remain the same. Further explanations and resources can be found online, and the person speaking is willing to answer any specific questions.
Draygon_Phly
Hi! I'm a sixteen year old grade eleven physics student,and I'm having trouble understanding impulse and momentum.I would like you to clear up a few things for me.

"suppose two identical cars traveling at the same speed are brought to a stop: one by its braks, the other by a concrete abutment. In both cases the changes in momentum is the same. the cars have equal masses and experience an equal change in velocity. The impulse to stop each car must be equal too, because impulse and momentum are equivalent quantities.

This is what it says in my text. I don't really understand it, could somone explane this to me? Thank you.

Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
For starters, the book isn't very precise. Impluse doesn't equal momentum, in magnitude or direction. Impluse is the change in momentum, and momentum is defined as the mass of the object times its velocity, i.e [tex]m\vec v[/tex].

So to stop a car traveling at [tex]v[/tex], you need to change its momentum from [tex]m\vec v[/tex] to 0 (the momentum of a resting body is zero since its velocity is zero):
[tex]\vec F\Delta t = m\Delta \vec v = m\vec v - 0[/tex]
To change the momentum you need to exert a force [tex]F[/tex] for [tex]\Delta t[/tex] time. You can either exert a very strong force for a short period of time (like the concrete wall would), or you can exert a weaker force for a longer period of time (like the friction would). But no matter what, the product of the force and time must be the same.

You can probably find a lot of sites online that will explain this even better:
http://www.google.com/search?q=impulse+momentum
Although if you have any specific questions I (and others I'm sure) will be happy to answer them. :smile:

Last edited:
Thanx your lots of help. I don't think I could figure it out without you.:smile:

hey thanks too that help me recall something

1. What is the difference between impulse and momentum?

Impulse and momentum are both physical quantities related to motion. Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, while impulse is a measure of the force applied to an object over a period of time. In other words, impulse is the change in momentum over time.

2. How are impulse and momentum related?

Impulse and momentum are directly related through Newton's Second Law, which states that force equals mass times acceleration. Since impulse is the change in momentum, it can also be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time it is applied.

3. How does impulse affect an object's motion?

Impulse can change an object's motion by altering its momentum. A larger impulse will result in a larger change in momentum, and therefore a greater change in an object's velocity. This is why a larger force applied over a shorter period of time can have a greater effect on an object's motion compared to a smaller force applied over a longer period of time.

4. Can momentum be conserved in a system?

Yes, according to the Law of Conservation of Momentum, the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a system with no external forces, the total momentum before an event must be equal to the total momentum after the event. This law is often used to analyze collisions and other interactions between objects.

5. How is impulse and momentum used in real-life applications?

Impulse and momentum are used in many real-life applications, such as in sports, car safety, and rocket propulsion. In sports, athletes use the principles of impulse and momentum to increase their speed and power. In car safety, airbags are designed to increase the time of impact and decrease the force applied to passengers, reducing the risk of injury. In rocket propulsion, the conservation of momentum is used to propel rockets into space.