How to Prove contracted Bianchi Identity

• Thread starter jojoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the derivative operator is usually considered "metric compatible", meaning that it respects the Leibniz derivation rule. This allows the contraction to pass through the covariant derivative, as seen in the equation g^{im}\nabla_{\partial_j}R_{ilkm}=\nabla_{\partial_j}(g^{im}R_{ilkm}) - R_{ilkm}\nabla_{\partial_j}g^{im}=\nabla_{\partial_j}R_{ lk}. The uncontracted Bianchi identities, which were originally credited to someone else by Bianchi himself, were also featured in a newspaper article in Toronto.
jojoo
How to prove
[itex]g^{im}
\nabla_{\partial_j}R_{ilkm}=\nabla_{\partial_j}R_{lk}[/itex].

of cause [itex]g^{im}R_{ilkm}=R_{lk}[/itex], but I don't know how the contraction can pass through the covariant derivative?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jojoo said:
How to prove
[itex]g^{im}
\nabla_{\partial_j}R_{ilkm}=\nabla_{\partial_j}R_{lk}[/itex].

of cause [itex]g^{im}R_{ilkm}=R_{lk}[/itex], but I don't know how the contraction can pass through the covariant derivative?
Because derivatives and (finite) sums commute. e.g.

[tex]
\frac{d}{dx} \sum_{i = a}^b f_i(x) = \sum_{i = a}^b \frac{df_i}{dx}(x)
[/tex]

jojoo said:
...but I don't know how the contraction can pass through the covariant derivative?

The derivative operator is usually taken to be "metric compatible", i.e.,
[tex]\nabla_a g_{bc}=0[/tex].

robphy said:
The derivative operator is usually taken to be "metric compatible", i.e.,
[tex]\nabla_a g_{bc}=0[/tex].

Yes, I know that. But [tex]\nabla_{\partial_j}R_{ilkm}=(\nabla_{\partial_j}R)(\partial_i,\partial_l,\partial_k,\partial_m)[/tex] How can the contraction really happen?(since [tex]\nabla_a g_{bc}=0[/tex] means [tex](\nabla_a g)(\partial_b,\partial_c)=0[/tex])
Would you like to give me more detail? Thank you!

Last edited:
This is OT, but George Jones just pointed out that today's issue of the daily paper in Toronto featured a picture of the uncontracted Bianchi identities. For some reason a politician is in the foreground.

Industrious students can look for papers pointing out that Bianchi himself credited these identities to someone else.

[itex]g^{im}\nabla_{\partial_j}R_{ilkm}=\nabla_{\partial_j}(g^{im}R_{ilkm}) - R_{ilkm}\nabla_{\partial_j}g^{im}=\nabla_{\partial_j}R_{ lk}[/itex]

because [tex]\nabla_a g_{bc}=0[/tex]

it respects the Leibniz derivation

Last edited:

1. What is the contracted Bianchi Identity?

The contracted Bianchi Identity is a mathematical equation that relates the covariant derivative of the Riemann tensor to the Ricci tensor and the scalar curvature. It is used in differential geometry and general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime.

2. Why is it important to prove the contracted Bianchi Identity?

The contracted Bianchi Identity is a fundamental equation in general relativity, and proving it is essential for validating the theory. It also helps to establish the consistency and accuracy of mathematical models used in relativity and cosmology.

3. What are the steps to proving the contracted Bianchi Identity?

The proof of the contracted Bianchi Identity involves applying the definition of the covariant derivative to the Riemann tensor and using properties of the metric tensor and Christoffel symbols. This results in a series of calculations and manipulations until the desired identity is obtained.

4. Are there any common mistakes made when trying to prove the contracted Bianchi Identity?

Yes, some common mistakes include incorrect application of the metric tensor, improper use of indices, and errors in algebraic calculations. It is important to carefully follow each step of the proof and double-check all calculations to avoid these mistakes.

5. How is the contracted Bianchi Identity used in physics and cosmology?

The contracted Bianchi Identity is used in physics and cosmology to study the behavior of matter and energy in the universe and to make predictions about the evolution of the universe. It is also used in the Einstein field equations, which describe the relationship between matter and the curvature of spacetime in general relativity.