Which Linux Distribution is Best for Astrophysics/Astronomy?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of installing Linux on a hard drive and the various distributions available. Different users provide recommendations for specific distributions, with some suggesting Scientific Linux, Redhat, Ubuntu, and Zenwalk. The conversation also mentions potential issues with installation, confusion with partitioning tools, and the benefits of using Linux as an alternative operating system. Additionally, there is a discussion about the visual effects and customization options available with Beryl and Compiz.
Computer science news on Phys.org
graphic7 said:
May I ask why you are only considering Linux as an alternative operating system to install? There are many free UNIX/UNIX-like variants out there that do not all follow Linux's mis-designs and flaws. It may be advantageous to start out on the right foot by using an operating system that respects standards and presents some level of backwards compatibility to the user for future releases of the operating system.

Purely out of ignorance...I don't know much of these other free UNIX/ UNIX-type variants out there.
What are some alternatives?
neutrino said:
No IM client with video and voice chat.

Is Pidgin no good for IM'ing?

Dathascome said:
Purely out of ignorance...I don't know much of these other free UNIX/ UNIX-type variants out there.
What are some alternatives?
You can try Solaris or a BSD variant usch as FreeBSD.
Is Pidgin no good for IM'ing?
But neutrino wants voice and video chat, which gaim/Pidgin doesn't have.

I'm sure other people have probably already said everything you need (I didn't actually take the time to read what everyone else had already said), but I would recommend ubuntu. I'm new to linux also, so I really don't know much. However, I tried ubuntu and mandriva. I stuck with ubuntu and haven't had any major problems yet. So yah... that's all I know.