How to Convert Parametric Equations into a Cartesian Equation in 3D Modelling?

In summary, the conversation discusses converting parametric equations into Cartesian equations in 3D modelling. The process involves using nonhomogeneous linear systems and position and direction vectors to create a Cartesian equation for a line in 3-dimensional space. However, it is noted that a Cartesian equation cannot be created for 3D vectors and instead represents a surface. The conversation also mentions the possibility of creating Cartesian equations for lines in N dimensions.
prasannapakkiam
Okay, I was doing 3D modelling. To save space I used vector functions to render terrain. Anyway, I came up with 3 parametric equations - each a function of an axis: e.g.: x=4t, y=5t+6, z=7t-9. How can you convert this into a Cartesian Equation?:confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do x, y and z stand for?

prasannapakkiam said:
Okay, I was doing 3D modelling. To save space I used vector functions to render terrain. Anyway, I came up with 3 parametric equations - each a function of an axis: e.g.: x=4t, y=5t+6, z=7t-9. How can you convert this into a Cartesian Equation?:confused:

Not sure what you mean by a "Cartesian Equation".
In your case, your are looking for a nonhomogeneous linear system of 2 equations in 3 unknowns.

EDIT.

Basic theorem from linear algebra:
Every linear manifold is a solution set of a nonhomogeneous linear system of equations.

In your example, the function-locus parametrically defined by f(t) = (4t,5t+6,7t-9) can be considered a linear manifold.
It is the range of f.
It is the line of intersection of the two planes determined by the system.

Last edited:
z = 5t + 6 + 2t - 15

z(t)=7t-9
x(t)=4t
y(t)=5t+6
i.e. it is like a vector
I was wondering if there is a way to transfer this into a Cartesian equation. I mean if the z did not exist, I would just solve the 2 equations for t and then equate them: x/4=(y-6)5. With that extra function, how would one go about creating a single cartesian equation?

prasannapakkiam said:
z(t)=7t-9
x(t)=4t
y(t)=5t+6
i.e. it is like a vector
I was wondering if there is a way to transfer this into a Cartesian equation. I mean if the z did not exist, I would just solve the 2 equations for t and then equate them: x/4=(y-6)5. With that extra function, how would one go about creating a single cartesian equation?

Read the edit in post 3.

There is no cartesian equation for 3d vectors. Think about it: if a single relationship included three variables, x, y, z, then any of these variable could not be determined by the value of simply 1 other variable. In fact, such a relationship represents a surface, not a curve or line thereof.

Last edited:
Exactly what I wished to confirm...

Actually, there is a Cartesian form.

Given a position vector A <a1,a2,a3>
And a direction vector B <b1,b2,b3>

The Cartesian form of a line in 3 dimensional space is:

(x - a1) / b1 = (y - a2) / b2 = (z - a3) / b3

This can be determined from two points (C,D) by generating the direction vector like so:
A = C - D

And then picking one of the points as the position vector.
See:
http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~jenolive/vect17.html

And I believe you can generate a Cartesian form of a line in N dimensions..

Some people refer to the Cartesian Equation Form as the
Symmetric Form

JFYI

1. What is the difference between Cartesian and Parametric coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates, also known as rectangular coordinates, use two axes (x and y) to represent a point in space. Parametric coordinates use a third variable, typically denoted by t, to represent a point in space. In Cartesian coordinates, the location of a point is given by its distance from the origin along each axis. In parametric coordinates, the point is defined by a set of equations that relate each coordinate to the third variable t.

2. How are Cartesian and Parametric equations related?

Cartesian and parametric equations are different ways of representing a mathematical relationship. In some cases, a parametric equation can be converted into a Cartesian equation by eliminating the parameter t. This is known as the elimination method. In other cases, a Cartesian equation can be converted into parametric form by introducing the parameter t. This is known as the substitution method.

3. What are some applications of Cartesian and Parametric coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates are commonly used in geometry, physics, and engineering to describe the location of objects in space. They are also used in computer graphics to create 3D models. Parametric coordinates are used in calculus to solve problems involving curves and surfaces. They are also used in physics to describe the motion of objects along a curved path.

4. Can you graph a parametric equation on a Cartesian plane?

Yes, it is possible to graph a parametric equation on a Cartesian plane. This is done by plotting points of the form (x,y) where x and y are given by the parametric equations in terms of t. The resulting graph is called a parametric curve.

5. What are the advantages of using parametric coordinates over Cartesian coordinates?

Parametric coordinates have several advantages over Cartesian coordinates. They can describe more complex curves and surfaces, such as circles and ellipses, using simpler equations. They also allow for more precise and efficient calculations in calculus and physics. Additionally, parametric coordinates can be used to represent motion in 3D space, which is not possible with Cartesian coordinates alone.