Atomic Vibration: Disproving the Theory

In summary, a person is seeking help in disproving a theory that thoughts can affect the crystallization of water. However, there is no known mechanism that could explain such an effect and the burden of proof is on those making the claim. Some individuals suggest using technology or concepts such as Quantum Zeno effect or brain waves to manipulate water, but there is no evidence to support these ideas. The conversation also includes a reminder to adhere to the forum's policy on speculative theories and a joke about using these concepts for personal gain.
Billahertz
Hello all,

I'm having a little trouble researching this as I'm not sure what the exact field of study is called, googling Atomic Vibration doesn't come up with much. Basically I am looking to disprove a theory (with hard science) that thoughts can affect the crystalisation of water. The argument that is being used is that 'everything' vibrates so they don't see why the two can't interact. I know the theory is absolutely crap, and I know there must be some physics that disprove it, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is! Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The onus is not on you to disprove their theory. The onus is on them to prove that the effect is real. They can't do this.

You don't have to have a PhD in physics to know that thinking good thoughts won't influence water crystallization.

There's no known mechanism that could explain such an effect. This doesn't by itself disprove the claim- but unless they can replicate the effects under controlled conditions then there's not much point spending time on it.

we can view a persons thoughts on a display panel... sort of... and scientists have invented a neural interface computer chip. why couldn't we simply use this tech to suck the energy from water with brain frequency? are they trying to simply stare the water into freezing?

Last edited:
Sure, why not? Use Quantum Zeno to stop the water molecules by looking at them, thereby freezing water solid with your stare. Then microwave it back to liquid with your brain waves.

clugosi said:
we can view a persons thoughts on a display panel... sort of... and scientists have invented a neural interface computer chip. why couldn't we simply use this tech to suck the energy from water with brain frequency? are they trying to simply stare the water into freezing?

K^2 said:
Sure, why not? Use Quantum Zeno to stop the water molecules by looking at them, thereby freezing water solid with your stare. Then microwave it back to liquid with your brain waves.

I will remind you of the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374" that you had agreed to. Pay particular attention to our policy on speculative theory.

If you think you have references to back this up, please post them. And when I said "references", I don't mean papers or textbooks referring to established concepts. Rather, I mean references whereby these concepts are actually used to explain the phenomenon being described.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think K^2 is joking. :tongue2:

ZapperZ said:
I will remind you of the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374" that you had agreed to. Pay particular attention to our policy on speculative theory.

If you think you have references to back this up, please post them. And when I said "references", I don't mean papers or textbooks referring to established concepts. Rather, I mean references whereby these concepts are actually used to explain the phenomenon being described.

Zz.

I think your job is getting to your ZapperZ, that was a joke, and a damned good one.

Microwave with your brain waves, heh.

Last edited by a moderator:
K^2 said:

This is a great premise for a supervillain.

Nyaaa Nyaa - You can't prove nothing isn't true so there! :tongue:

1. What is atomic vibration?

Atomic vibration refers to the constant movement of atoms within a material. This movement is caused by the thermal energy present in all matter.

2. What is the theory that states atomic vibration?

The theory that states atomic vibration is the kinetic theory of matter, which states that all matter is made up of tiny particles in constant motion.

3. How can the theory of atomic vibration be disproven?

The theory of atomic vibration can be disproven by conducting experiments that show that atomic vibrations do not occur within a material, or by finding evidence that contradicts the predictions of the kinetic theory of matter.

4. What are some potential implications of disproving the theory of atomic vibration?

Disproving the theory of atomic vibration could have significant implications for our understanding of the behavior of matter and the laws of thermodynamics. It could also impact industries and technologies that rely on the concept of atomic vibrations, such as materials science and energy production.

5. What evidence currently supports the theory of atomic vibration?

There is a wealth of evidence that supports the theory of atomic vibration, including observations of Brownian motion, the behavior of gases at different temperatures, and the properties of different materials. Additionally, the kinetic theory of matter has been successfully used to make accurate predictions in various fields of science and engineering.