Certain product sequences and their factors

In summary, the sequence P_n is defined recursively as P_{0} = 1, P_{1} = a, and P_{n} = 6P_{(n-1)}-P_{(n-2)} + 2a^2-8a+4. Each term in the sequence is a product of two numbers, and the values of these numbers follow a specific pattern involving the integers a and b. This sequence can be further explored in different finite number systems and the constants in the recursive formula can be rearranged in different ways.
ramsey2879
define the sequence [tex]P_n[/tex] as follows:

[tex]P_{0} = 1[/tex] ; [tex]P_{1} = a[/tex] and [tex]P_{n} = 6P_{(n-1)}-P_{(n-2)} + 2a^2-8a+4[/tex]

Then each term is a product of two numbers as follows
[tex]P_{n}= {1*1,1*a,a*b,b*c,c*d,d*e,\dots}[/tex]
where
b = 2a-1
c = 4b-a
d = 2c-b
e = 4d-c
f = 2e-d

Has anyone come across this before

Physics news on Phys.org
ramsey2879 said:

[tex]P_{0} = 1[/tex] ; [tex]P_{1} = a[/tex] and [tex]P_{n} = 6P_{(n-1)}-P_{(n-2)} + 2a^2-8a+4[/tex]

[tex]P_{n}= {1*1,1*a,a*b,b*c,c*d,d*e,\dots}[/tex]
where
b = 2a-1
c = 4b-a
d = 2c-b
e = 4d-c
f = 2e-d

Has anyone come across this before
Now I generalized this and made a slight adjustment
Let a and b be integers

[tex]P_{0} = ab[/tex] ; [tex]P_{1} = b^{2}-ab[/tex] and [tex]P_{n} = 6P_{(n-1)}-P_{(n-2)} + 2a^{2}-8ab+4b^{2}[/tex]

[tex]P_{n}= \{a*b,b*c,c*d,d*e,\dots\}[/tex]
where
c = 4b-a
d = 2c-b
e = 4d-c
f = 2e-d
I am thinking of at looking at this further in various finite number systems [tex]Z_n[/tex] but right now I don't know if any of my sequences consist of complete residue sets or if they are just subsets thereof. The constant that is added in the recursive formula can also be written as [tex]4(b-a)^{2}-2a^2[/tex] and the sets (c,d) (e,f) (g,h) can also be interchanged for the a and b thereof.

Last edited:
?

It seems like this sequence is defined recursively, where each term is a product of two numbers and the next term is dependent on the previous two terms. The first two terms are given, and then the pattern is established for the rest of the sequence.

I have not personally come across this specific sequence before, but it does remind me of other sequences that involve products of numbers and have a recursive definition. It would be interesting to explore the properties and behavior of this sequence further.

1. What are product sequences and their factors?

Product sequences refer to a series of numbers that are multiplied together to obtain a final product. Factors are the numbers that are multiplied together to obtain the product. For example, in the sequence 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, the factors are 2 and 5.

2. How are product sequences and their factors useful in science?

Product sequences and their factors are useful in many areas of science, such as genetics, chemistry, and physics. They can be used to represent relationships between variables, calculate growth rates, and determine the outcome of chemical reactions.

3. Can product sequences and their factors be used to predict future values?

Yes, product sequences and their factors can be used to predict future values. By analyzing the pattern of the sequence, scientists can make predictions about what the next number in the sequence will be.

4. Are there different types of product sequences and factors?

Yes, there are different types of product sequences and factors. Some common types include arithmetic sequences, geometric sequences, and prime factorization.

5. How do scientists use product sequences and factors to solve problems?

Scientists use product sequences and factors to solve problems by breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. They can also use these concepts to make predictions and test hypotheses in their research.