Cs2Se + Sc Reaction: Resultant Chemical

• Thread starter PH7SICS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the resultant chemical when Cs2Se is combined with Sc. It is mentioned that the reaction conditions and the states of matter of the substances could affect the outcome. An expert inorganic chemist is suggested as a potential source of a more accurate answer.
PH7SICS
I guess straight forward enough question, what would be the resultant chemical if Cs2Se + Sc = ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought someone who knows more about chemsitry might reply but, I can't seen that reacting. Scandium isn't going to pull anything from Ceasium.

PH7SICS said:
I guess straight forward enough question, what would be the resultant chemical if Cs2Se + Sc = ?

You did not say if this reaction should be in air, or any specified solvent. The conditions could make a difference. Scandium is a metal, probably a solid (not sure); Cs2Se, what state of matter? Is it dissolved in something? My unrefined guess would be to check in a table of electrode potentials to look for a reasonable redox reaction. Maybe a true inorganic chemist would read your question and give an expert answer.

1. What is the chemical equation for the Cs2Se + Sc reaction?

The chemical equation for the Cs2Se + Sc reaction is 2Cs2Se + 3Sc → 3Sc2Se + 2Cs. This shows that two molecules of Cs2Se react with three atoms of Sc to form three molecules of Sc2Se and two atoms of Cs.

2. What type of reaction is Cs2Se + Sc?

The Cs2Se + Sc reaction is a double displacement reaction, also known as a metathesis reaction. This is because the two reactants switch partners to form two new products.

3. What are the products of the Cs2Se + Sc reaction?

The products of the Cs2Se + Sc reaction are Sc2Se and Cs. This means that the two reactants, Cs2Se and Sc, combine to form two new compounds, Sc2Se and Cs.

4. What are the physical properties of the products formed in the Cs2Se + Sc reaction?

The physical properties of the products formed in the Cs2Se + Sc reaction vary. Sc2Se is a crystalline solid with a dark grey color, while Cs is a soft, shiny metal. Both compounds have high melting and boiling points and are highly reactive.

5. What are the potential applications of the Cs2Se + Sc reaction?

The Cs2Se + Sc reaction has potential applications in the production of semiconductors and photovoltaic cells. Sc2Se is a semiconductor material with potential for use in solar cells, while Cs is commonly used in the production of thin film solar panels. Additionally, Sc and Cs are both used in various industrial and technological applications, making this reaction useful for producing these compounds.