Err, 'kid' chemistry question. HELP

• Thread starter Need2KnowSci
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the air sample was tested with anhydrous CuSO4, acidified KMnO4, and limewater. The results showed a blue color change in CuSO4, decolorization in KMnO4, and a white precipitate in limewater. This indicates the presence of SO2, CO2, and H2O in the air sample.
Need2KnowSci
Question :
Air sample sujected to following tests. The anhydrous CuSO4 turned blue, the acidified KMnO4 was decolourised and white ppt was seen in limewater.

Which of the following sets of gasas was present in the air sample?

a) SO2, CO2 and H2O
b) SO2, CO and H2O
c) CO, H2 and H2O
d) CO2, H2O and CO

someone please tell me and explain why.

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please read the sticky thread at the top of this subforum. We can not help you unless you first show your own effort.

does saying it's either a or d because CO2 is produced when the limewater turns chalky constitute as showing my own effort?

It's not asking what is produced, it is asking what is absorbed / reacted.
But you are correct by accident, CO2 + Ca(OH)2 gives you a precipatate of CaCO3

'anhydrous' CuSO4 gives you a clue about the water but since water is in all the answers that doesn't really help.
You just have to think what does a strong oxidiser like KmnO4 do?

What is "kid" chemistry?

"Kid" chemistry refers to the basic principles and experiments of chemistry that are suitable and safe for children to learn and participate in. These experiments often involve simple and non-toxic materials, and are designed to introduce children to the world of science in a fun and engaging way.

Why is it important for children to learn about chemistry?

Learning about chemistry at a young age can help children develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a greater understanding of the world around them. It can also spark their curiosity and interest in science, setting them on a path towards potential future careers in STEM fields.

What are some examples of "kid" chemistry experiments?

Some examples of "kid" chemistry experiments include making slime, creating a volcano eruption with baking soda and vinegar, and making a rainbow with Skittles and water. These experiments are safe and easy for children to do with adult supervision.

How can I encourage my child's interest in chemistry?

You can encourage your child's interest in chemistry by providing them with age-appropriate experiments and resources, such as science kits or educational books. You can also involve them in everyday activities that involve chemistry, such as cooking or gardening. Additionally, showing enthusiasm and curiosity towards science yourself can inspire your child to do the same.

What safety precautions should I take when doing "kid" chemistry experiments with my child?

It is important to always closely supervise your child during any chemistry experiments and to follow all instructions and safety precautions. Make sure to use non-toxic materials and have proper ventilation. It is also a good idea to have a first-aid kit on hand in case of any accidents.