Solving Redox Equations: Cathodic Reaction of Oxygen

• Thread starter big man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Redox
In summary, the conversation discusses two possible half equations for the cathodic reaction of oxygen, one from lecture notes and one thought of by the speaker. The speaker is unsure which one is correct and asks for clarification. More information is needed to determine the correct equation.
big man

Homework Statement

Write the half equation for the cathodic reaction of oxygen

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know that the cathodic reaction will be reduction and so the oxygen will be gaining electrons. I thought I had the answer from the lecture notes, but then I thought of another possible equation that would work too and I don't know which one is right??

The two equations are as follows:
equation from notes( the notes say that this is the most common)
[tex]O_2 + 2H_2O + 4e^- ->4OH^-[/tex]

the equation I came up with
[tex]O_2 + 4H^+ + 4e^- ->2H_2O[/tex]

Are these just two possible half equations for the cathodic reaction of oxygen or is one wrong??

Thanks for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
I think we need more context here. Both reactions are legal, and likely occur at quite different potentials, so additional details are necessary.

and help

Both of the equations you have written are correct half equations for the cathodic reaction of oxygen. The first equation is known as the alkaline equation, which is commonly used in basic solutions. The second equation is known as the acidic equation, which is commonly used in acidic solutions. Both equations represent the reduction of oxygen, where it gains electrons. The choice of which equation to use depends on the specific conditions of the reaction. It is important to note that these equations are half reactions and must be combined with a corresponding anodic reaction to form a complete redox equation. I would recommend consulting with your instructor or referencing a reliable source to determine which equation is appropriate for your specific situation.

1. What is the cathodic reaction of oxygen in a redox equation?

The cathodic reaction of oxygen in a redox equation involves the reduction of oxygen molecules by gaining electrons. This process is commonly known as reduction and takes place at the cathode, which is the positively charged electrode in an electrochemical cell.

2. How do you balance redox equations involving the cathodic reaction of oxygen?

To balance a redox equation involving the cathodic reaction of oxygen, you need to first identify the oxidation state of each element in the equation. Then, use the half-reaction method to balance the equation by first balancing the atoms and then balancing the charges on each side of the equation.

3. What is the purpose of balancing redox equations?

The purpose of balancing redox equations is to ensure that the number of atoms and the charge are conserved on both sides of the equation. This is important because it reflects the law of conservation of mass and charge, and also allows us to accurately predict the products and quantities of reactants needed in a chemical reaction.

4. Can you use the half-reaction method to balance any redox equation?

No, the half-reaction method can only be used to balance redox equations in acidic or basic solutions. In some cases, additional steps may be required to balance equations in other environments, such as in the presence of complex ions or in non-aqueous solutions.

5. What are some common mistakes when balancing redox equations involving the cathodic reaction of oxygen?

Some common mistakes when balancing redox equations involving the cathodic reaction of oxygen include forgetting to balance the charges on each side of the equation, not identifying the correct oxidation states of elements, and not balancing the number of atoms of each element. It is important to double-check all steps and ensure that the equation is balanced before proceeding with any calculations or interpretations.