Understanding Photon Emission from Atoms

In summary, the conversation discusses the possible energies of photons emitted when an electron with over 16.6*10^-19 J of energy is shot into an atom with defined ground energy level at 0J and energy levels at E1 = 0 J, E2 = 7.77*10^-19 J, E3 = 10.66*10^-19 J, E4 = 14.1*10^-19 J, and E5 = 16.6*10^-19 J. The conversation also mentions the possibility of other energies being emitted due to electrons transitioning from one energy level to another, but it is not explicitly stated in the textbook.
danago
Gold Member
Hi. This isn't so much a homework question, but more of a conceptual understanding question.

Lets say an atom has a ground energy level defined at 0J.
The energy levels are:

E1 = 0 J
E2 = 7.77*10^-19 J
E3 = 10.66*10^-19 J
E4 = 14.1*10^-19 J
E5 = 16.6*10^-19 J

Now, if an electron with over 16.6*10^-19 J of energy is shot into the atom, what are the possible energies of photons that can be emitted?

I would have started by saying:

7.77*10^-19 J
10.66*10^-19 J
14.1*10^-19 J
16.6*10^-19 J

my textbook seems to agree with me there. Now, i would also think that more energies are possible, because of electrons going from one energy level other than the ground state to another. So the following would also be possible:

2.89*10^-19 J
6.33*10^-19 J
3.44*10^-19 J
etc...

The book didnt explicitly say these arent correct, but it didnt really mention them, so I am not sure if my understanding is correct or not.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah. That is possible. Eventually, the electron does end up at the ground level. I think the total number of paths is n*(n-1)/2.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up :smile:

What is photon emission?

Photon emission is the process by which atoms release energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation, specifically in the form of photons.

How does photon emission occur in atoms?

Photon emission occurs when an atom's electrons transition from a higher energy state to a lower energy state. This energy difference is emitted in the form of a photon.

What factors affect the frequency of photon emission?

The frequency of photon emission is affected by the energy levels of the atom and the type of transition that occurs between these levels. Additionally, the type of atom and its surrounding environment can also impact the frequency of photon emission.

What is the relationship between energy and frequency in photon emission?

The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that the higher the frequency of a photon, the higher its energy will be.

How is photon emission used in various applications?

Photon emission is used in a variety of applications, including medical imaging, telecommunications, and lighting technologies. It is also a crucial factor in our understanding of atomic structure and the behavior of matter on a microscopic level.