Fluid cylindrical bucket Question

In summary: A_top >> A_bottom and A_bottom is large compared to A_top then the water in the bucket will flow faster at the top than at the bottom.
neoking77
A cylindrical bucket, open at the top has height 27.0 cm and diameter 13.0 cm. A circular hole with a cross-sectional area 1.49 cm^2 is cut in the center of the bottom of the bucket. Water flows into the bucket from a tube above it at the rate of 2.28×10−4 m^3/s

my work
let 1 denote the top and 2 denote the bottom

Q = V1A1
V1 = Q/A = 0.01718 m/s

Q = V2A2
V2 = 0.01530 m/s

using bernoulli's
top bottom
P + pgh + 1/2pv^2 = pgh + 1/2pv^2 + P
P's are equal and cancels out
rho's cancel out
there's no pgh on bottom
we are left with
h = [ 1/2(v2)^2-1/2(v1)^2 ] /g

the answer i get is 0.00179m which is 0.1179 cm but that's not the answer...can anyone see where i went wrong? thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
neoking77 said:
A cylindrical bucket, open at the top has height 27.0 cm and diameter 13.0 cm. A circular hole with a cross-sectional area 1.49 cm^2 is cut in the center of the bottom of the bucket. Water flows into the bucket from a tube above it at the rate of 2.28×10−4 m^3/s

my work
let 1 denote the top and 2 denote the bottom

Q = V1A1
V1 = Q/A = 0.01718 m/s

Q = V2A2
V2 = 0.01530 m/s

using bernoulli's
top bottom
P + pgh + 1/2pv^2 = pgh + 1/2pv^2 + P
P's are equal and cancels out
rho's cancel out
there's no pgh on bottom
we are left with
h = [ 1/2(v2)^2-1/2(v1)^2 ] /g

the answer i get is 0.00179m which is 0.1179 cm but that's not the answer...can anyone see where i went wrong? thank you very much.

you're probably forgetting to convert something from cm to m or some such thing... I found

h=0.11725 meters

actually, only good to 2 sig fig?

h=0.12 meters

really? ? any idea what i converted wrong?
did you get 0.01718m/s and 0.01530m/s for velocities? ... hm

neoking77 said:
really? ? any idea what i converted wrong?

no idea. sorry.

did you get 0.01718m/s and 0.01530m/s for velocities? ... hm

I don't remember off hand, if I can find my scratch-paper I'll let you know.

good luck.

1cm^2 = .0001m^2 so 2.28x10^-4/1.49x10^-4 gives a velocity of 1.53m/s

I just plugged it into toricelli's equation (v1=sqrt(2g(h2-h1)) and solved for h2 (h1 is 0), which gave the answer .119m = 11.9cm.

p0nda said:
1cm^2 = .0001m^2 so 2.28x10^-4/1.49x10^-4 gives a velocity of 1.53m/s

I just plugged it into toricelli's equation (v1=sqrt(2g(h2-h1)) and solved for h2 (h1 is 0), which gave the answer .119m = 11.9cm.

that neglects the velocity of the water at the top of the bucket... valid if A_top >> A_bottom only.

1. What is the fluid cylindrical bucket question?

The fluid cylindrical bucket question is a hypothetical problem in fluid mechanics that involves determining the amount of fluid that can fit inside a cylindrical bucket of a given size and shape.

2. How do you solve the fluid cylindrical bucket question?

The fluid cylindrical bucket question can be solved using the formula for the volume of a cylinder, which is V = πr2h, where r is the radius of the cylinder and h is the height. By plugging in the given values for r and h, you can calculate the volume of the bucket and thus determine the amount of fluid it can hold.

3. Does the type of fluid matter in the fluid cylindrical bucket question?

Yes, the type of fluid does matter in the fluid cylindrical bucket question. Different fluids have different densities, and this affects the amount of fluid that can fit inside the bucket. For example, a bucket filled with water will hold a different amount of fluid than a bucket filled with oil of the same size and shape.

4. What other factors can affect the amount of fluid that can fit inside a cylindrical bucket?

Aside from the type of fluid, other factors that can affect the amount of fluid that can fit inside a cylindrical bucket include the size and shape of the bucket, the surface tension of the fluid, and the presence of any obstructions or irregularities in the bucket's interior.

5. How is the fluid cylindrical bucket question relevant in real life?

The fluid cylindrical bucket question is relevant in many real-life situations, such as in the design of tanks and containers for storing and transporting fluids, in the construction of dams and reservoirs, and in the study of fluid dynamics in various industries. It also has practical applications in everyday tasks, such as measuring the amount of liquid needed for a recipe or filling a container with a specific volume of fluid.