What happens when you fire a gun in a zero gravity environment?

• Thread starter cooldood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bullet
In summary, the bullet will slow down as soon as it leaves the barrel due to air resistance and it will eventually stop.
cooldood
This is my first physics question (and hopefully not my last)

I've been wondering about what happens when you fire a gun in a situation with no gravity (or atleast no gravity of the Earth's) but when there is air and frictional forces present. People have tried to convince me that the bullet attains its terminal velocity and then continues in a straight line (infinitely)

Is this possible ? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Cooldood.
The bullet will cease accelerating as soon as it leaves the muzzle (actually, a brief fraction of a second later due to residual pressure following it), and then indeed carry on in a straight line. The shooter will also be moved backward by the recoil force, which is equal to that carried by the bullet.

edit: By the time I got around to answering this, I forgot that I hadn't read the entire question. I'm at work, got interrupted part-way through, then finished without seeing the part about 'infinitely'. :redface: It will indeed slow down and eventually stop due to friction and compression forces, but it's path will be a straight line. Sorry, guys.

Last edited:
cooldood said:
This is my first physics question (and hopefully not my last)

I've been wondering about what happens when you fire a gun in a situation with no gravity (or atleast no gravity of the Earth's) but when there is air and frictional forces present. People have tried to convince me that the bullet attains its terminal velocity and then continues in a straight line (infinitely)

Is this possible ? :confused:
Not possible. Air friction keeps slowing down the moving body, until it stops.

Terminal velocity requires a balance of forces; that's not the case here. As long as air resistance (the only force) continues to act, the bullet will continue to slow down.

No, the term "terminal velocity" refers to the velocity where the force due to gravity (g, m*g, where g is about 9.8 m/s^2) is "balanced out" by the friction due to air (which is proportional to the speed of the bullet).
Hence, in the absence of gravity (and forces from e.g. from a rocket) there is no such thing as terminal velocity.

This means that the bullet will have reached its maximum velocity when it leaves the barrel of the gun, then it will just slow down due to friction until it stops.

Thanks a lot everyone :)

What is the purpose of "Another bullet question?"

The purpose of "Another bullet question" is to provide a concise and organized way to present multiple pieces of information or ideas in a clear and easy-to-read format.

How do you create a bullet question?

To create a bullet question, start by stating a question or topic. Then, use bullet points to list out the different pieces of information or ideas related to that question or topic.

Why are bullet questions useful in scientific research?

Bullet questions are useful in scientific research because they allow for the presentation of complex information in a simple and organized manner. This makes it easier for readers to understand and interpret the data presented.

Can bullet questions be used in any type of scientific research?

Yes, bullet questions can be used in any type of scientific research as they are a versatile tool for organizing and presenting information. However, they may be more commonly used in fields such as data analysis, experimental research, and literature reviews.

Are there any tips for creating effective bullet questions?

When creating bullet questions, it is important to make sure they are clear, concise, and focused on a specific topic or question. Use bullet points to break down complex information into smaller, more manageable pieces. Also, be sure to use bullet points consistently and avoid using too many or too few bullet points.