Calculating Force of Car and Driver at Rest

However, in this case, they only ask for the force on the rider.In summary, the car starts from rest and reaches a speed of 15m/s in 6 seconds, with a mass of 300kg. The rider has a mass of 100kg and the acceleration is 2.5m/s/s. The equation to calculate the force is F=ma, and in this case, the force on the rider is F=(100)(2.5). The masses of the car and rider do not act as one and the force on the rider is only calculated using their individual mass.
Ryo124

Homework Statement

A car starts from rest at a stop sign and accelerates to speed 15m/s in a time of 6 seconds. The mass of the car is 300kg and the mass of the rider is 100kg. What is the force on the rider?

Homework Equations

I figured the acceleration to be 2.5m/s/s. And I know that F = ma.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if you calculate the force on the car and the driver (400kg), or just the force on the driver (100kg).

So the equation is either F=(100)(2.5) or F=(400)(2.5). Which one? Do the car and driver act as one mass?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It asks for "the force on the rider". Not the car.

I just thought that the driver was in system with the car, so their masses would add up? Is that ever the case?

If they ask you for the total force you need to push the car AND driver (i.e. how much force does the engine need to provide) then you would add them.

1. What is the formula for calculating the force of a car and driver at rest?

The formula for calculating the force of a car and driver at rest is F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. How is the mass of a car and driver determined?

The mass of a car and driver can be determined by weighing the car and driver together on a scale. The mass is typically measured in kilograms (kg).

3. What is the average weight of a car and driver?

The average weight of a car and driver varies depending on the make and model of the car, as well as the weight of the driver. However, the average weight is approximately 4,000 pounds (1,814 kg).

4. Can the force of a car and driver at rest be negative?

No, the force of a car and driver at rest cannot be negative. The force is a vector quantity and is always positive or zero. A negative force would indicate a force in the opposite direction.

5. Why is it important to calculate the force of a car and driver at rest?

Calculating the force of a car and driver at rest is important for understanding the physical forces at play during a car accident or collision. It can also help engineers design safer cars and improve safety features to protect passengers in the event of an accident.