Microprocessor MC68000. Pls help me

• Thread starter lightgreen
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with their Microprocessor subject, specifically with designing an address decoder and writing a program for a Motorola chip. The student has already solved the first question but needs help with the second one. They have attempted to use multiplication but are unsure of the requirements and are considering using a look-up table instead. The other person suggests using the multiply instruction and explains that squaring a number is easy.
lightgreen
One of my major subjects in this semester is Microprocessor, MC68000. I have a hard time with this subject. Please help me to answer certain questions:

1)Design address decoder for following devices
- RAM(128Kbyte) with initial address of $400000
-ROM(32kbyte) with initial address of $000000
-I/O with address between $800000-$80001F

2) Write a program which satisfies the equation: y= x(square) + z
y is a 16bit unsigned number which store in $1000
x and z is a 8 bit unsigned number which store in $1002-$1003

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the instruction set for the Motorola chip? You need to know that already.

What work have you done so far? Please you show us.

The questios listed all are the theoritical question. We do not have to design the real circuit. For the first question, I already have the answers. But pls help me for the 2nd question.

For the square part use a look-up table and an index to count up to x and read the table (which should contain the square of each x values). The rest is straightforward; addition.

verafloyd said:
For the square part use a look-up table and an index to count up to x and read the table (which should contain the square of each x values). The rest is straightforward; addition.

the 68K has a multiply instruction. both signed and unsigned. squaring a number is trivial.

Sorry to say that I don understand at all what's going on at the moment. I'm thinking of using multiplication before, but the requirements for it really make me confuse. Besides that, if squaring a number is trivial, then can I assume that y=z? If not, what should I do? What are $1000, $1002,$1003? Is it a memory address at address register?

rbj said:
the 68K has a multiply instruction. both signed and unsigned. squaring a number is trivial.

You're right. But it -depending on the numbers- takes more clock cycles than doing it with a LUT.

1. What is a Microprocessor MC68000?

The Microprocessor MC68000 is a 16/32-bit microprocessor that was first introduced by Motorola in 1979. It is one of the earliest microprocessors to use a 32-bit internal data bus, making it suitable for use in high-performance applications.

2. What are the main features of the Microprocessor MC68000?

The Microprocessor MC68000 has a 16-bit data bus and can address up to 1 MB of memory. It also has a 32-bit instruction set and can execute instructions in a single clock cycle. It also has seven 32-bit data registers and eight 32-bit address registers.

3. What are some common applications of the Microprocessor MC68000?

The Microprocessor MC68000 has been used in a variety of applications, including early personal computers such as the Apple Macintosh and the Commodore Amiga. It has also been used in industrial and military applications, as well as in early gaming consoles.

4. How does the Microprocessor MC68000 differ from other microprocessors?

The Microprocessor MC68000 is unique in that it has both a 16-bit and 32-bit architecture, making it versatile for a wide range of applications. It also has a large number of registers compared to other microprocessors, allowing for more efficient data processing.

5. Is the Microprocessor MC68000 still used today?

While it is no longer in production, the Microprocessor MC68000 is still used in some legacy systems and is highly regarded for its reliability and performance. It has also served as the basis for other microprocessors, such as the Motorola 68010 and the Freescale ColdFire series.