How Do You Calculate Angular Acceleration of a Cylinder?

In summary, a cylinder attached to a wall is a cylindrical-shaped object that is mounted or fixed onto a vertical surface for storage, support, or decorative purposes. It can be attached using various methods such as screws, brackets, or adhesives. Some benefits of having a cylinder attached to a wall include saving space, providing additional storage, and stability. Common uses for a cylinder attached to a wall include organizing items and displaying decorative items. The ease of removing or repositioning a cylinder attached to a wall depends on the method of attachment and should be done carefully to avoid damage.
sheri1987

Homework Statement

M, a solid cylinder (M=1.67 kg, R=0.137 m) pivots on a thin, fixed, frictionless bearing. A string wrapped around the cylinder pulls downward with a force F which equals the weight of a 0.670 kg mass, i.e., F = 6.573 N. Calculate the angular acceleration of the cylinder.

Homework Equations

F*R ?
ang accel. = alpha*R

The Attempt at a Solution

I multiplied Force*Radius, cause someone told me to start with that, but I'm not sure what to do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
F*R = Torque = I*alpha. where I is the moment of inertia of the solid cylinder=MR^2/2

I would approach this problem by first defining the variables and equations involved. The cylinder is attached to a wall, meaning it is free to rotate around a fixed point. The given information includes the mass of the cylinder (M), its radius (R), and the force acting on it (F).

To calculate the angular acceleration of the cylinder, we can use the equation alpha = torque/I, where torque is the product of force and distance from the pivot point (in this case, the radius), and I is the moment of inertia of the cylinder.

Using the given information, we can calculate the torque as F*R. To find the moment of inertia, we can use the formula I = 1/2*M*R^2 for a solid cylinder rotating around its central axis. Plugging in the values, we get I = 1/2*1.67 kg*(0.137 m)^2 = 0.012 kg*m^2.

Now we can plug these values into the equation for angular acceleration: alpha = (F*R)/I. Substituting in the known values, we get alpha = (6.573 N * 0.137 m)/0.012 kg*m^2 = 75.96 rad/s^2.

Therefore, the angular acceleration of the cylinder is 75.96 rad/s^2.

1. What is a cylinder attached to a wall?

A cylinder attached to a wall is a cylindrical-shaped object that is mounted or fixed onto a vertical surface, such as a wall. It can be made of various materials such as metal, plastic, or glass and is often used for storage, support, or decorative purposes.

2. How is a cylinder attached to a wall?

A cylinder can be attached to a wall using different methods depending on the material of the cylinder and the type of wall. Some common ways include drilling screws or nails into the wall and attaching brackets or hooks to support the cylinder. Adhesives, magnets, or straps can also be used to secure the cylinder to the wall.

3. What are the benefits of having a cylinder attached to a wall?

Attaching a cylinder to a wall can save space and provide additional storage or support. It can also serve as a decorative element in a room. Additionally, having a cylinder attached to a wall can help keep the cylinder stable and prevent it from tipping over.

4. What are some common uses for a cylinder attached to a wall?

A cylinder attached to a wall can be used for a variety of purposes. Some common uses include holding and organizing items such as kitchen utensils, tools, or bathroom essentials. It can also be used as a display shelf for plants, books, or decorative items.

5. Can a cylinder attached to a wall be easily removed or repositioned?

The ease of removing or repositioning a cylinder attached to a wall depends on the method of attachment. If screws or nails were used, they can be unscrewed or removed to take down the cylinder. Adhesives or magnets may require more effort or specific tools to remove. It is important to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions to avoid damaging the wall or the cylinder when removing or repositioning it.