Finding the mass of a hockey puck - inertia

In summary, the question is asking for the mass of an ice hockey puck given its velocity, an impulse delivered by a hockey stick, and negligible friction and drag. The equation for finding the momentum of the puck involves the area under the curve, but the mass is unknown. The user is seeking help to solve the problem.
crewrules101
Finding the mass of a hockey puck - inertia!

An ice hockey puck slides along the ice at 12m/s. A hockey stick delivers an impulse of 4.5 kg * m/s, causing the puck to move off in the opposite direction with the same speed. What is the mass of the puck. Friction and drag are negligible.

Any Ideas? I am completely lost.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Units...

Thanks!

Yes my units are correct. I was skimming over my notes from class and I believe we have to use the ∆px=jx=area under the curve equation

to find the ball's momentum:

m(vf)x-m(vi)x but then I don't have "m" this whole thing is equal to jx

and then the area under the curve

jx=fmax • ∆time

but I have jx and the velocities, but not the mass or the fMax

crewrules101 said:
Thanks!

Yes my units are correct. I was skimming over my notes from class and I believe we have to use the ∆px=jx=area under the curve equation

to find the ball's momentum:

m(vf)x-m(vi)x but then I don't have "m" this whole thing is equal to jx

and then the area under the curve

jx=fmax • ∆time

but I have jx and the velocities, but not the mass or the fMax
oh sorry, you're actually ahead of me :-p hopefully someone will be able to help you tonight.

Last edited:

What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. An object with more mass will have more inertia.

What is the mass of a hockey puck?

The mass of a hockey puck can vary, but on average it is between 5.5 and 6 ounces, or 156 to 170 grams.

How do you find the mass of a hockey puck?

The mass of a hockey puck can be found by using a scale specifically designed for measuring small objects. The puck is placed on the scale and the reading will show the mass in ounces or grams.

Why is it important to know the mass of a hockey puck?

Knowing the mass of a hockey puck is important for understanding its behavior on the ice, as well as for safety reasons. A heavier puck will have more inertia and can cause more damage if it were to hit someone.

How does the mass of a hockey puck affect its motion on the ice?

The mass of a hockey puck directly affects its inertia, which in turn affects its motion on the ice. A heavier puck will require more force to change its state of motion, making it harder to accelerate or decelerate.