Acceleration From Earth's Rotation

In summary, the particle at rest on the surface of the Earth experiences inward acceleration towards the center of the Earth due to gravity. There is no tangential acceleration, only tangential velocity at a right angle to the inward acceleration. The Earth's constant angular velocity does not cause tangential acceleration. The concept of centrifugal force may affect one's weight, but it is not relevant to the question of tangential acceleration on the Earth's surface.
odie5533

Homework Statement

Does a particle at rest on the surface of the Earth experience tangential acceleration because of the rotation of the earth? If so, in what direction? If not, explain why not.

The Attempt at a Solution

The particle would not have tangential acceleration but rather inward acceleration towards the center of the earth. As the particle is rotating in a circle constantly being pulled towards the center of the Earth while it attempts to fly off the Earth in a direction perpendicular to the inward acceleration.

I am wondering if I am missing something here as I don't fully understand tangential acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tangential acceleration is acceleration along the surface of the Earth (if there is) such that from that point you tend to go in a straight line forming a right angle with the line joining you and the centre of the Earth.The Earth has a constant angular velocity and not acceleration.Yes, the centripetal force(due to gravity) will be inward towards the centre of of the Earth and the Centrifugal force will be outward.

Can you relate to how this would affect your weight. If you are being pulled down by Earth's gravity and you have a force acting outward(centrifugal) against it , will your weight change?

=/ You've confused me more. I've never encountered centrifugal force in my physics class, so I'm not sure how to answer your question. But by your definition of tangential acceleration, there is none when a particle is resting on the earth, only the centripetal acceleration towards the center of the Earth and the tangential velocity (?) of the particle at a right angle to the acceleration.

1. What is acceleration from Earth's rotation?

Acceleration from Earth's rotation is the change in velocity due to the Earth's rotation. As the Earth rotates, objects on its surface experience a constant acceleration, known as centripetal acceleration, towards the center of the Earth.

2. How does Earth's rotation affect objects on its surface?

Earth's rotation causes objects on its surface to experience a centrifugal force, which is the force that pushes them away from the center of rotation. This force is countered by the centripetal acceleration, resulting in a net acceleration towards the center of the Earth.

3. Is acceleration from Earth's rotation constant?

Yes, the acceleration from Earth's rotation is constant as long as the object remains on the surface of the Earth. This is because the Earth's rotation is constant, so the force and acceleration experienced by objects on its surface are also constant.

4. How does the direction of acceleration from Earth's rotation change?

The direction of acceleration from Earth's rotation changes depending on the latitude of the object. At the equator, the acceleration is directed towards the center of the Earth, while at the poles, the acceleration is directed towards the axis of rotation.

5. What is the magnitude of acceleration from Earth's rotation?

The magnitude of acceleration from Earth's rotation depends on the distance from the axis of rotation and the rotation rate of the Earth. At the equator, the magnitude is approximately 0.03 m/s², while at the poles it is approximately 0 m/s².