Solving Hockey Puck Problem Homework

• Thread starter chiurox
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a hockey puck with a mass of 0.50 kg being hit in a straight line along a horizontal playing surface. The question has four parts, with the first two parts involving finding the coefficient of friction of the playing surface given an initial velocity and distance traveled. The third and fourth parts involve a change in the coefficient of friction due to spilled food on the surface, and finding the necessary initial velocity for the puck to travel a specific distance. The conversation ends with a request for help and some calculations and reasoning for the answers.
chiurox

Homework Statement

A hockey puck with a mass of 0.50 kg is hit in a straight line along a horizontal playing surface.
Well, there are 4 parts to this question:
a. If the puck has an initial velocity of 4.0m/s and stops after 5.0, what is the coefficient of friction, uk1, of the playing surface?
My answer: for this one, I got 0.16 and I'm quite sure it's right, unless someone can prove me wrong.

b. What should the initial velocity be if the coefficient of friction is 0.16 and the puck has to travel 6.0m?
My answer: I got 4.4m/s and again I think it's right, unless someone can prove me wrong.

c. Someone spills food on the playing surface, changing the coefficient of friction over a 1.0 m section. Now, in order for the puck to travel 6.0 m, it first goes 4.0 m over a surface with a coefficient of friction of 0.16, then it goes 1.0m over a surface with a coefficient of friction uk2, and finally it goes 1.0 m over a surface with a coefficient of friction of 0.16 again. If the initial velocity of the puck in a straight line must now be 5.0 m/s in order to travel 5.0m, what is the coefficient of friction, uk2?
My answer: I'm stuck on this one... help please?
d. What must the initial velocity of the puck in (c) be in order for the puck to stop after 6.0m?
Well, since I'm having problems with (c), I don't know about this one.

Could anyone help me please as soon as possible?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Parts a and b look right to me.

have you studied work/energy yet? the next parts can be done with work/energy... it is much easier than the kinematic way described below.

For part c).

you have 2 parts:

v0=5m/s<----4.0m---->v1<----1.0m---->v =0

so over 5.0 m... the first 4.0m is a surface of coeff. 0.16. the next 1.0m is uk2.

find the velocity v1 just as it gets on the part of the surface with uk2 (you can get this using the initial velocity v0, distance=4.0m and accleration, which you can get from the coefficient of friction 0.16).

now you can get the acceleration over the uk2 surface using d = 1.0m final velocity v= 0... and v1 which you just calculated above... from that you can find frictional force and uk2.

for part d). work backwards...
you have 3 parts

v0 <---- 4.0m ----> v1 <---1.0m----> v2 <---1.0m---> v = 0

get v2... then v1... then v0...

I'm not sure if I got what you told me, but I worked out the problem in a similar way:
Vo^2 / 2(uk2)(g) = 5.0 which is the distance traveled,so I got the coefficient of uk2 = 0.25
Well, since the puck has to go over a total distance of 5 meters with a velocity of 5.0m/s, and we know from part (a) that with an initial velocity of 4.0m/s the puck stopped after 5.0m. So uk2 has to be significantly bigger than uk1 since the puck is traveling the same distance (5m) but with a velocity of 5.0m/s.

(d). I used 0.25=uk2 to plug in the equation Vo^2 / 2uk2(g) = distance traveled or 6
then I found Vo = 5.5m/s so that the puck will stop after 6.0m
I don't know if it's right, but I feel that it at least makes sense because the puck has to travel 1 more meter and therefore the initial velocity has to be a bit bigger.

Could anyone help me check or point out some mistakes I did?
I'm taking AP Physics B by self-studying, with no textbook, and doing activities online (such as this one) worth grade. So I'm pretty much lost almost all of the time heh...

1. How do I approach solving a hockey puck problem homework?

The first step in solving a hockey puck problem homework is to carefully read and understand the problem. Make sure you know what is being asked and what information is given. Then, identify the relevant principles and equations that can be applied to solve the problem.

2. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving a hockey puck problem homework?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a hockey puck problem homework include using incorrect units, not showing all the necessary steps, and making careless arithmetic errors. It is important to double-check your work and make sure the final answer makes sense.

3. How can I check my solution for a hockey puck problem homework?

You can check your solution for a hockey puck problem homework by plugging your answer back into the original equation and making sure it satisfies all the given conditions. You can also compare your answer with a known solution, if available.

4. Is it important to draw a diagram when solving a hockey puck problem homework?

Yes, it is important to draw a diagram when solving a hockey puck problem homework. A diagram can help you visualize the problem and understand the given information better. It can also help you identify any missing information and guide your solution process.

5. What are some tips for successfully solving a hockey puck problem homework?

Some tips for successfully solving a hockey puck problem homework include reading the problem carefully, organizing the given information, using appropriate equations and units, showing all the necessary steps, and checking your work. It is also helpful to practice solving different types of problems to improve your problem-solving skills.