General question, inequalities and graphing

In summary, x+|x|=y+|y| can be solved by considering four sets of conditions and using a number line to justify the equation. The condition only applies to the absolute value of x and not x itself. The four quadrants (x≥0 and y≥0; x≥0 and y<0; x<0 and y≥0; x<0 and y<0) should be considered to find a solution.
rocomath
[tex]x+|x|=y+|y|[/tex]

so for x which in a sense will be the same for y

x if x > 0
-x if x < 0

now does that only apply to my absolute x? or does it apply to both x and |x|?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should consider four sets of conditions: both less than zero, both greater than zero, one less and other greater; the other greater and the one less. An obvious solution is in case x=y=0, but you should check the other four conditions.

no i meant if x < 0, then does it become

(-x) + (-x) or x + (-x)

does the condition only apply to the absolute value? but i checked my SM, i couldn't resist any longer :p

Use a number line to justify this: but if x<0, then
[tex] \[
x + \left| x \right| = x + ( - x)
\]
[/tex]

rocophysics said:
[tex]x+|x|=y+|y|[/tex]

so for x which in a sense will be the same for y

x if x > 0
-x if x < 0

now does that only apply to my absolute x? or does it apply to both x and |x|?
The trouble is you don't say what those two lines are EQUAL to. You should say "for x

|x|= x if [itex]x\ge 0[/itex]
|x|= -x if x< 0.

Yes, of course, that applies only to the absolute value of x- it wouldn't make sense to say that x= -x! As symbolipoint said, you will have 4 cases to consider- the four quadrants- [itex]x\ge 0[/itex] and [itex]y\ge 0[/itex]; [itex]x\ge 0[/itex] and y< 0; x< 0 and [itex]y\ge 0[/itex]; x< 0 and y< 0.

symbolipoint said:
Use a number line to justify this: but if x<0, then
[tex] \[
x + \left| x \right| = x + ( - x)
\]
[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
The trouble is you don't say what those two lines are EQUAL to. You should say "for x

|x|= x if [itex]x\ge 0[/itex]
|x|= -x if x< 0.

Yes, of course, that applies only to the absolute value of x- it wouldn't make sense to say that x= -x! As symbolipoint said, you will have 4 cases to consider- the four quadrants- [itex]x\ge 0[/itex] and [itex]y\ge 0[/itex]; [itex]x\ge 0[/itex] and y< 0; x< 0 and [itex]y\ge 0[/itex]; x< 0 and y< 0.
Thanks! Unfortunately, I have another :p

What are inequalities and how do they differ from equations?

Inequalities are mathematical statements that compare two quantities or expressions using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. They differ from equations in that they do not necessarily have a single solution, but rather a range of possible solutions.

How do I graph an inequality on a coordinate plane?

To graph an inequality, first rewrite it in slope-intercept form (y = mx + b) if possible. Then plot the y-intercept (b) on the y-axis and use the slope (m) to find a second point on the line. Finally, draw a dashed or solid line through these two points, depending on the type of inequality (dashed for < or > and solid for ≤ or ≥). Shade the region above or below the line to indicate the solutions.

What is the difference between a linear and a nonlinear inequality?

A linear inequality has a variable raised to the first power, while a nonlinear inequality has a variable raised to a power other than 1. This results in a straight line for a linear inequality on a graph, while a nonlinear inequality will have a curved or jagged line.

How can I solve a system of inequalities?

To solve a system of inequalities, graph each inequality on the same coordinate plane. The solution to the system will be the overlapping region (shaded) where all of the inequalities hold true. If the overlapping region is empty, the system has no solution.

Why are inequalities important in real life?

Inequalities help us understand and represent relationships between quantities in the real world. They are used in fields such as economics, engineering, and science to make predictions and solve problems involving constraints and limitations. Inequalities also play a crucial role in decision-making and setting goals.