Differentiating an Integral: Proving the Chain Rule for Derivatives

In summary, the chain rule can be used to solve this question. The set up is z(x) = x and h(x) = (z(x),x). Then the chain rule gives the answer exactly as x = z(x). Thanks for the help!
mathboy
Notation: I^x means the integral sign from 0 to x

Question: Let f be a smooth function. Prove that
d/dx [I^x f(x,y)dy] = f(x,x) + I^x (d/dx)f(x,y)dy
using the chain rule for derivatives (do NOT use Leibnitz's rule for differentiating an integral).

I don't know how to express I^x f(x,y)dy as a composition of two functions. I've tried defining F(x,z) = I^x f(z,y)dy and then compute d/dx[F(x,x)] but I can't get anywhere. I do know that by the fundamental theorem of calculus that
d/dy [I^x f(x,y)dy] = f(x,y)
but I can't seem to incorporate it here.

Please someone tell me what composition I'm supposed to take the derivative of.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the conditions on f? For instance the right hand side won't make sense if the first partial (i.e. wrt x) of f isn't continuous almost everywhere. Even assuming this, I don't see how we can proceed without using Leibniz, or at least implicitly using the proof of Leibniz. How else are we going to get the partial under the integral sign?

See this thread for more information. Most of the methods there can be suitably adapted to solve your problem.

f is a smooth function. And the question can be done using the chain rule according to the question (the question comes from a section devoted to the chain rule), and the fundamental theorem of calculus will have to be used.

I'm looking over the thread you pointed out and some chain rules are being used there.

Last edited:
Yup - but notice that the basic version of Leibniz is also used. I suppose you can also incorporate its proof (see homology's post at the end of the first page) into your solution.

Ok, I got it now. The set up is:

h(x) = (z(x),x)
F(h(x)) = I^z(x) f(x,y)dy

Then the chain rule gives the answer exactly upon using z(x) = x. Thanks.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of differentiating an integral?

Differentiating an integral is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function. In other words, it allows us to determine how much the output of a function changes when the input changes.

2. How is differentiating an integral different from finding the derivative?

Differentiating an integral involves finding the derivative of the integral function itself, while finding the derivative involves finding the derivative of a specific function. Differentiating an integral is a more general process that can be applied to a variety of functions, while finding the derivative is specific to a single function.

3. What is the formula for differentiating an integral?

The formula for differentiating an integral is the same as the power rule for finding derivatives. It is written as: f'(x) = nx^(n-1)Where n is the power of the variable x in the integral.

4. Can all integrals be differentiated?

No, not all integrals can be differentiated. Some integrals may not have a well-defined derivative, or may require more advanced techniques to differentiate. Additionally, some integrals may not have a closed form solution, making it impossible to differentiate them.

5. How is differentiating an integral useful in real-world applications?

Differentiating an integral has numerous real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It can be used to find rates of change, such as velocity and acceleration, in motion and growth problems. It is also used in optimization problems, where finding the maximum or minimum of a function is necessary. In economics, it can be used to find marginal functions, which represent the change in cost or revenue with respect to quantity.