How Fast Must a Bullet Travel to Heat Water by 1.3 Degrees Celsius?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the speed of a 4.54g bullet that can increase the temperature of 1.00 L of water by 1.30oC if all of its kinetic energy is transferred to the water. The equation for energy conservation is given, but the correct equation is not known. The conversation suggests converting from calories to MKS units and using the specific heat capacity equation to solve the problem.
shakejuhn

Homework Statement

How fast would a 4.54g bullet have to be traveling so that it increased the temperature of 1.00 L of water by 1.30oC if it gave all of its kinetic energy to the water?

Homework Equations

i don't know what equation to use i have two of them but its seems they don't apply to this problem

mgh-.5MVf^2=q

q=cM(Tf-Ti)
q=C(Tf-Ti)

The Attempt at a Solution

please point me in the correct direction so i can attempt the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
What unit of energy does it take to raise water by 1C? How do you convert from that into MKS units of energy? What is the kinetic energy of the bullet (your equation above is not correct -- close, but not right)?

Hint: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie

shakejuhn said:

Homework Equations

i don't know what equation to use i have two of them but its seems they don't apply to this problem

mgh-.5MVf^2=q

q=cM(Tf-Ti)
q=C(Tf-Ti)

You have only one eqn, viz., that of energy conservation. (Use CGS and then convert to SI, as had been advised.)

1. What is "Bullet water Heat question"?

"Bullet water Heat question" refers to a scientific experiment that involves measuring the amount of heat released when a bullet is fired into a container of water. This experiment is often used to demonstrate the principles of energy conservation and the transfer of heat.

2. How does the experiment work?

The experiment works by placing a container of water on a scale and recording its initial mass. A bullet is then fired into the water, and the resulting increase in temperature is measured using a thermometer. By comparing the initial and final mass of the water and the change in temperature, the amount of heat released by the bullet can be calculated.

3. What scientific concepts does this experiment illustrate?

This experiment illustrates the principles of energy conservation and the transfer of heat. It shows that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. It also demonstrates how kinetic energy from the bullet is transferred to the water, causing an increase in temperature.

4. Why is this experiment important?

This experiment is important because it helps to explain fundamental scientific concepts and laws, such as the conservation of energy. It also has practical applications, such as understanding the impact of gunfire on the environment and the effectiveness of different types of bullet materials.

5. What are some potential sources of error in this experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment include inaccuracies in measuring the initial and final mass of the water, variations in the temperature of the water before the experiment, and heat loss to the surrounding environment. These errors can affect the accuracy of the results and should be taken into consideration when interpreting the data.