What is the initial velocity of the ball thrown by Nicole?

• Thread starter ae4jm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the ball was thrown with an initial velocity of 14 m/s, based on the fact that the speed going back down at a given height is equal to the speed going up at that same height. This can be solved using the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where the downward velocity is represented as -10 m/s and the upward velocity is represented as +10 m/s at a height of 5m.
ae4jm
[SOLVED] How fast was the ball thrown?

Homework Statement

Nicole throws a ball straight up. Chad watches the ball from a window 5.0m above the point where Nicole released it. The ball passes Chad on the way up, and it has a speed of 10 m/s as it passes him on the way back down. How fast did Nicole throw the ball?

Homework Equations

Vf=Vi + at
y=Vi(t)+.5a(t)(^2)
Vf^2=Vi^2+2(a)(y)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried starting with the final V =0 and I've tried to solve the downward motion of the ball first, to attempt to get maybe the y value, or height of the ball at it's max. Please, where should I start? What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
A hint, since no energy is lost - the speed going back down at a point is the same as the speed going up at that same height.
You just need v^2 = u^2 + 2as be careful of the signs!

Thanks mgb_phys! I finally got the correct answer of initial velocity=14 m/s.

for v^2 = u^2 + 2as; I let the -10 m/s of the downward velocity, u, = + 10 m/s at the same height of 5m on the upward velocity. I let v = unknown variable and the acceleration was equal to -9.8 m/s^2, and s=5m for the height. Thanks for the explanation!

1. How is the speed of a thrown ball calculated?

The speed of a thrown ball is calculated by dividing the distance the ball travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. This is known as the average speed formula, which is speed = distance / time.

2. What factors affect the speed of a thrown ball?

There are several factors that can affect the speed of a thrown ball, including the force applied by the person throwing, the angle at which the ball is thrown, air resistance, and the weight and size of the ball.

3. How does air resistance impact the speed of a thrown ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down a thrown ball by creating a force that opposes its motion. This is why objects with a streamlined shape, such as a baseball, can travel faster through the air compared to objects with a larger surface area, such as a beach ball.

4. What units are used to measure the speed of a thrown ball?

The most commonly used unit to measure the speed of a thrown ball is miles per hour (mph) or kilometers per hour (km/h). However, other units such as meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s) may also be used.

5. Can the speed of a thrown ball be greater than the speed of light?

No, the speed of light is the fastest speed at which anything in the universe can travel. According to the theory of relativity, it is impossible for an object with mass to reach or exceed the speed of light. Therefore, the speed of a thrown ball cannot be greater than the speed of light.