Happy Most Depressing Day of the Year

In summary, today is being dubbed as the most depressing day of the year, but this article suggests that the peak for "depression" Google searches is actually in November, not January. The anticipation of the long winter may contribute to this trend. However, some argue that today may not be so depressing, with one person sharing their enjoyable day and another celebrating the end of the Bush presidency. The article also mentions a drop in global stock indexes, adding to the negative sentiment of the day.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Today is http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1704887,00.html" .

So don't do anything I wouldn't do.

:)

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
All this silliness should make you laugh.

Actually the article got me laughing... so it can't be that bad :biggrin:

The article states that the peak for "depression" Google searches is November. This agrees with something I learned when I lived in Alaska. Most people have heard of "cabin fever," a temporary affliction that long-timers up there sometimes get.

The interesting thing is it peaks not in the winter but in October-November. It's the anticipation of the long winter that sets people off, not the reality of it.

Do you exchange presents or just send cards? I haven't celebrated the Most depressing day of the year before. Maybe I'll just go out for dinner, I don't like Italian food so that's probably what I should get.

I thought one celebrates the most depressing day by having a friend tells you all your shortcoming and failures in life? This is done, of course, over a very good bottle of champaign.

:)

ZapperZ said:
[...] over a very good bottle of champaign.:)

It should be a very good bottle, otherwise you'd wake up with a hangover tomorrow. Which will make you late for work, get you fired / fail your exam, and give you an even more depressing day.

CompuChip said:
It should be a very good bottle, otherwise you'd wake up with a hangover tomorrow. Which will make you late for work, get you fired / fail your exam, and give you an even more depressing day.

Which contradicts the statement that the previous day was the most depressing during the year. Therefore, our assumption was wrong. Of course, there's the case where this could happen on Dec 31 - Jan 1, but during those days most of the world is really crazy to be depressed.

lisab said:
The interesting thing is it peaks not in the winter but in October-November. It's the anticipation of the long winter that sets people off, not the reality of it.

Interesting. Though that's also when the weather (at least around here) starts to change from warm and sunny to chilly and cloudy, so maybe it's the need to adjust to the change in weather not so much the duration of exposure to it (besides, by the mid-winter holidays, you can get on a plane and go someplace warm and sunny). :biggrin:

Today doesn't feel very depressing to me at all. It's the first day in about 3 weeks I've gotten to really sleep in. I have to make one short trip out to do a bit of work, but since it's a university holiday, I get the rest of the day off. It's bright and sunny (though bitter cold, but that doesn't matter when I can just enjoy basking in the sunlight streaming through a window), and my houseguest for two weeks left over the weekend, so I finally have my house back to myself. I thought today was a pretty great day. It would be wonderful if this is the most depressing a day ever got this year. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Today doesn't feel very depressing to me at all. It's the first day in about 3 weeks I've gotten to really sleep in. I have to make one short trip out to do a bit of work, but since it's a university holiday, I get the rest of the day off. It's bright and sunny (though bitter cold, but that doesn't matter when I can just enjoy basking in the sunlight streaming through a window), and my houseguest for two weeks left over the weekend, so I finally have my house back to myself. I thought today was a pretty great day. It would be wonderful if this is the most depressing a day ever got this year. :biggrin:

Sounds like one of those rare, perfect days, when time seems to just laze along...nice!

And I thought it was just because (for many) it's the last day after Christmas before payday.

Oh, and that you lose a shedload of cash with the onset of American recession...

And just in case there's someone not celebrating in true spirit, here's something to cheer down those invested in the market:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7199552.stm
Monday, 21 January 2008, 20:55 GMT
Global shares tumble on US fears

Investors remain worried about the state of the US economy
Global stock indexes, including the UK FTSE 100, have fallen their most since the terrorist attacks of September 11 2001 amid fears of a recession.

The FTSE 100 index tumbled 5.5% to 5,578.2, wiping £77bn ($149bn) off the value of its listed shares.

Indexes in Paris and Frankfurt slumped by about 7%, while markets in Asia, India and South America also dropped.

Someone check the paper tomorrow and see how many brokers jumped out of windows today.

Now where's my whiskey bottle?

This is a very happy day because we only have 364 days of Bush left!

Someone check out the suicide rates tomorrow, for the 21st.

1. What is "Happy Most Depressing Day of the Year"?

"Happy Most Depressing Day of the Year" is a term coined by a travel company in 2005 to describe the third Monday in January, which is believed to be the most depressing day of the year due to a combination of factors such as post-holiday blues, bad weather, debt, and failed New Year's resolutions.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the concept of "Happy Most Depressing Day of the Year"?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that the third Monday in January is the most depressing day of the year. The concept is based on a formula created by a travel company as a marketing ploy, and it has been widely debunked by mental health professionals.

3. Why is the third Monday in January considered the most depressing day of the year?

The third Monday in January is believed to be the most depressing day of the year due to a combination of factors such as the end of the holiday season, bad weather, and the return to work or school after the holiday break. Additionally, many people may feel pressure to stick to their New Year's resolutions, which can lead to feelings of failure or disappointment.

4. Is there anything we can do to combat the "Happy Most Depressing Day of the Year"?

While there is no scientific evidence to support the concept of "Happy Most Depressing Day of the Year," it is important to take care of our mental health during this time of year. This can include practicing self-care, seeking support from loved ones or mental health professionals, and finding ways to stay positive and motivated.

5. Should we be concerned about the impact of "Happy Most Depressing Day of the Year" on mental health?

Yes, the widespread promotion of "Happy Most Depressing Day of the Year" can perpetuate harmful stereotypes and trivialize mental health issues. It is important to remember that mental health struggles are not limited to a single day and should be taken seriously. If you or someone you know is struggling with their mental health, it is important to seek help and support, regardless of the day or time of year.