Altitude and Azimuth of the Sun on the Summer Solstice at the Tropic of Cancer

• Thread starter Commodore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Altitude
In summary, the altitude and azimuth of the Sun are different during the summer solstice than they are during other times of the year.
Commodore
This question was recently on a test for our Astronomy Class. I was extremely confused by the question and the logic because my teacher had told us as a class that altitude was always equal to latitude. So please clarify.

If it is the Summer Solstice and I am standing at the Tropic of Cancer at High Noon facing south, what is the the altitude and azimuth of the sun?

I put (23°, 26", 21' Altitude, 0° Azimuth) as my answer.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Commodore said:
my teacher had told us as a class that altitude was always equal to latitude.

Did you teacher also mention anything about the North Celestial Pole (NCP) while talking about the altitude being equal to the latitude?

The altitude of a celestial object is a continually varying quantity, but the latitude of an observer is not so. Therefore, generally, they are not equal. But there is one point in the sky, that is always at an altitude that is equal to the latitude of the observer, and it is the NCP.

If it is the Summer Solstice and I am standing at the Tropic of Cancer at High Noon facing south, what is the the altitude and azimuth of the sun?

I put (23°, 26", 21' Altitude, 0° Azimuth) as my answer.
That's not right. If that were true, then for someone at the equator (along the same line of longitude) the Sun would be "setting" in the North, at noon! The (northern) summer solstice and the Tropic of Cancer have a rather special connection.

Last edited:
Thank you! I kind of figured I got it wrong, but I was still hoping.

:)
During the summer solstice, at high noon, the Sun would be directly overhead for someone standing at the ToCnc. Alt:90deg.

Yeah, when the proctor called out one minute remaining, I went to change my answer to that and I just thought, "You know if you change it and its wrong you'll never forgive yourself." So I didn't. Now, I can't forgive myself for not.

1. What is the difference between altitude and azimuth?

Altitude refers to the angle between an object in the sky and the horizon, measured in degrees. Azimuth, on the other hand, is the angle between the object and the north point on the horizon, also measured in degrees.

2. How are altitude and azimuth used in astronomy?

Altitude and azimuth are important coordinates used to locate objects in the sky. They help astronomers determine the position of celestial objects and track their movement over time.

3. How do altitude and azimuth change throughout the day?

Altitude and azimuth both change as the Earth rotates on its axis. As the sun moves across the sky, the altitude and azimuth of an object will change accordingly.

4. Can altitude and azimuth be used to calculate a star's position in the sky?

Yes, altitude and azimuth can be used to calculate a star's position in the sky. By knowing the altitude and azimuth of a star, astronomers can determine its exact location in the celestial sphere.

5. How do altitude and azimuth differ between the northern and southern hemispheres?

In the northern hemisphere, the altitude of celestial objects will appear higher in the sky, while in the southern hemisphere, they will appear lower. The azimuth will also be different, as celestial objects will appear to move in the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere compared to the northern hemisphere.