Really, really basic question in set theory

In summary, the pairing and union axioms are not the same. The Union axiom says that given any set S, there exists another set T whose elements are precisely the elements of the elements of S. The Pairing axiom says that there exists a set with those elements as members, but it does not say that the set exists.
IamNameless
Very simple question :smile:

Are the Pairing Axiom and the Union axiom in the Zermelo–Fraenkel set theory the same?

I have a book that states them as the following:
Pairing Axiom: For any sets u and v, there is a set having as members just u and v.
Union axiom: For any sets a and b there exists a set whose members are those belonging to either a or b.

Also in the book, they give these definitions in the form of a logic definition (I'd post but I can't find some of the symbols in any LaTex reference), the definitions are completely identical.

So are they different and if so what is the difference (and what would I be able to prove with one but not the other).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't post the "logic definitions" so I can't speak for those being identical (sometimes it's easy miss two symbols being interchanged, etc.) but the two definitions you give are clearly not completely identical!

Ignore what I just wrote, they were not correct. I'll edit in one minute.

Last edited:
Hmm. Just ignore this post. I can't put the logic symbols on here without a great struggle, I'm going to ignore one of these axioms and continue with the book.

Suppose you have two sets A={a, b, c} and W={x, y, z}.

Pairing says: {{a, b, c}, {x, y, z}, ...} exists.

Union says: {a, b, c, x, y, z, ...} exists.

See the difference? Note that the axioms do not say that the set with specifically those elements exist, but rather a set with those elements exist (that set may contain other stuff). You will need to use comprehension after to get the specific sets {{a,b,c,},{x,y,z}} and {a,b,c,x,y,z}.

In rigorous notation,

Paring: [tex]\forall a\forall b\exists c(a\in c \wedge b\in c)[/tex]

Union: [tex]\forall a\forall b\exists c(\forall x((x\in a\vee x\in b)\rightarrow x\in c))[/tex].

If you really want to ignore one of them, ignore paring, since you can prove it using replacement and infinity. I don't remember how.

Last edited:
IamNameless said:
Union axiom: For any sets a and b there exists a set whose members are those belonging to either a or b.
That's not the union axiom; the union axiom says that given any set S, there exists another set T whose elements are precisely the elements of the elements of S.

e.g. if S = {{a, b, c}, {c, d, e}}, then the axiom of union says that {a, b, c, d, e} is a set.

Dragonfall said:
If you really want to ignore one of them, ignore paring, since you can prove it using replacement and infinity. I don't remember how.
(1) Construct a set with 2 elements.
(2) Replace those 2 elements with the desired objects.

Where does infinity come into this?

If you don't assume the pair axiom, how else are you going to find a set with 2 elements?

Unless I'm much mistaken, if you discard the axioms of infinity and the pair set, then there is a model of the remaining axioms where the empty set is the only set. If you also discard the axiom of the null set, then there even exists a model where no sets exist!

You mean if you don't assume the infinity axiom?

If you assume power set and at least the empty set, then you can certainly construct a set with 2 elements without the pair axiom. Or infinity for that matter:

{0}
{0, {0}}

Unless mistaken, you can get a "class" of all finite sets [tex]\mathbb{V}_{\omega}[/tex]. Infinity says, of course, that [tex]\mathbb{V}_{\omega}[/tex] is a set. No model of it can only include the empty set unless you change extensionality to something weaker so that 0={0}.

Last edited:
Dragonfall said:
Union: [tex]\forall a\forall b\exists c(\forall x((x\in a\vee x\in b)\rightarrow x\in c))[/tex].

Forget what I said here. It's wrong.

Dragonfall said:
You mean if you don't assume the infinity axiom?

If you assume power set and at least the empty set, then you can certainly construct a set with 2 elements without the pair axiom. Or infinity for that matter:

{0}
{0, {0}}

Unless mistaken, you can get a "class" of all finite sets [tex]\mathbb{V}_{\omega}[/tex]. Infinity says, of course, that [tex]\mathbb{V}_{\omega}[/tex] is a set. No model of it can only include the empty set unless you change extensionality to something weaker so that 0={0}.
You can't write {0} and {0,{0}} unless you've already proven that pair sets exist. But anyways... You're right in spirit (I think); you can show that 0 and P(0) are both elements of P(P(0)), and that they are distinct.

But what fails in a "there is only one set" model isn't quite what you would think:

I'm considering a model where only one set exists (which I will call 0), and that 0 is an element of 0.

Going down the list in the wikipedia article:

Extensionality holds.
Regularity fails.
Specification fails.
Pairing holds.
Union holds.
Replacement holds. (I think)
Infinity holds.
Power set holds.

And I don't want to try and unfold the statement of the axiom of choice.

Last edited:
Yes I see what you mean. I was thinking about what kind of set would be a fixed point under power sets. Obviously no well-founded set can. So x={x} would be it.

1. What is a set in set theory?

A set in set theory is a collection of distinct elements. These elements can be anything, such as numbers, letters, objects, or even other sets. Sets are denoted by curly braces { } and the elements are separated by commas.

2. What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements in the set. It is denoted by |S|, where S is the set. For example, if a set S = {1, 2, 3}, then the cardinality of S is 3.

3. What is a subset in set theory?

A subset is a set that contains elements that are all part of another set. In other words, all the elements in a subset are also present in the original set. For example, if set A = {1, 2, 3} and set B = {1, 2}, then B is a subset of A.

4. What is the difference between a finite and infinite set?

A finite set is a set that has a limited or countable number of elements, while an infinite set has an uncountable number of elements. For example, the set of all natural numbers is an infinite set, while the set {1, 2, 3} is a finite set.

5. Can a set have duplicate elements?

No, a set cannot have duplicate elements. Each element in a set is unique and cannot be repeated. If a set does contain duplicate elements, it is not considered a true set in set theory.