Nuclear Engineering_Undergraduate_Help

• Thread starter sunil774
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuclear
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plans to enter Oregon State University for a BSc in Nuclear Engineering and asks for advice about the university's program and other options for studying nuclear engineering. They also mention considering University of Toronto and other Canadian universities for an Engineering Physics program. The expert recommends checking with the math and physics departments for summer course options, and mentions their own experience with multiple engineering courses. They also mention knowing a former director of UToronto's nuclear engineering program and express confusion about which university to attend.
sunil774
Guys I need Help !
I am about to enter Oregon State University in this fall for BSc in Nuclear Engineering,
Please give me some advice about this university if you happen to know about it ?

Anybody currently studying Nuclear Engineering, i would like you advice very much ?

I am an international student.
My future goal is to work on nuclear fusion. Would BSc in Nuclear Engineering be a better start than Physics or Engineering Physics ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here is OSU's undergrad NE program

Nuclear Engineering Major (BS)
http://catalog.oregonstate.edu/MajorDetail.aspx?major=327&college=16

Pre-Nuclear Engineering

Freshman Year (46)
CH 201. Chemistry for Engineering Majors (3)E
CH 202. Chemistry for Engineering Majors (3)
COMM 111. *Public Speaking (3)E
or COMM 114. *Argument and Critical Discourse (3)E
HHS 231. *Lifetime Fitness for Health (2)
HHS 241–HHS 248. *Lifetime Fitness: (various activities) (1)
MTH 251. *Differential Calculus (4)E
MTH 252. Integral Calculus (4)E
MTH 254. Vector Calculus I (4)E
NE 114. Intro to Nuclear Engineering and Radiation Health Physics (2)
NE 115. Intro to Nuclear Engineering and Radiation Health Physics (2)E
NE 116. Intro to Nuclear Engineering and Radiation Health Physics (2)
PH 211. *General Physics with Calculus (4)E
WR 121. *English Composition (3)E
Free Elective (3)
*Perspectives Courses (6)1

Sophomore Year (47)
Biological Science Elective (4)1
ENGR 201. Electrical Fundamentals (3)
ENGR 211. Statics (3)E
ENGR 212. Dynamics (3)E
ENGR 213. Strength of Materials (3)
ENGR 248. Engineering Graphics and 3-D Modeling (3)
MTH 256. Applied Differential Equations (4)E
MTH 306. Matrix and Power Series Methods (4)E
NE 234, NE 235. Nuclear and Radiation Physics I, II (4,4)
NE 236. Nuclear Radiation Detection and Instrumentation (4)
PH 212, PH 213. *General Physics with Calculus (4,4)E

Professional Nuclear Engineering

Junior Year (45)
ENGR 321. Materials Science (3)
ENGR 390. Engineering Economy (3)
ME 373. Mechanical Engineering Methods (3)
NE 311. Intro to Thermal-Fluid Sciences (4)
NE 312. Thermodynamics (4)
NE 331. Introductory Fluid Mechanics (4)
NE 332. Heat Transfer (4)
NE 481. Radiation Protection (4)
WR 327. *Technical Writing (3)1
Free Electives (3)
*Perspectives Course (3)1
Restricted Elective (4)3
*Synthesis Course (3)

Senior Year (42)
NE 407. Nuclear Engineering Seminar (3 terms) (1,1,1)
NE 415. Nuclear Rules and Regulations (2)6
NE 451, NE 452. Neutronic Analysis and Lab I, II, (4,4)
NE 467. Nuclear Reactor Thermal Hydraulics (4)
NE 474, NE 475. Nuclear Systems Design I, II (4,4)
NE 490. Radiation Dosimetry (4)
*Difference, Power, and Discrimination Course (3)1
*Perspectives Course (3)1
Restricted Elective (4)3
*Synthesis Course (3)1

Total =180

Footnotes
* Baccalaureate core course (BCC)
^ Writing intensive course (WIC)
E Required for entry into the professional program.
1 Must be selected to satisfy baccalaureate core requirements.
2 Approved engineering science elective from departmental list.
3 Approved technical electives from departmental list.
4 Recommended to satisfy core requirement.
5 Prerequisite for several upper-division courses. Recommended for completion prior to entry into the professional program.
6 Taught alternate years.

This seems a pretty standard program for nuclear engineering as well as most engineering programs. One normally takes some basic mathematics, physics and chemistry courses.

In the later years, I'd recommend some physics courses, particularly EM and nuclear physics.

I have not yet looked through it, so I'll comment later.

First, thank you Astronuc,
I have gone through the syllabus myself as well,
I think i can study more physics or mathematics on summer term as well , can't I ? Apart from the regular academic year.

One might be able to study math/physics during the summer, IF the particular course is taught during the summer. Sometimes the advanced undergrad math and physics courses are only taught during the spring and fall semesters.

I'd recommend checking with the mathematics and physics departments.

Had I known better 25 years ago, I would have made more effort to get to know the math and physics departments better. I talk courses as needed, but I never discussed my goals with a prof. from math or physics.

In addition to nuclear engineering, I took electrical and aerospace engineering, and materials science courses, so I had plenty of work to keep me occupied.

Hey Astronuc, where did you do your undergrad from? Are you working in a industry or in a university ?

Hey Astronuc , do you know about U of Toronto, i have applied there too, for Engineering Physics program; though i am not sure whether i will get into it ?
Just a opinion, which one would be better , Nuclear Engineering at OSU or Engineering Physics at U of Toronto ?

Does anyone knows other student's Nuclear Engineering forums ?

sunil774 said:
Hey Astronuc, where did you do your undergrad from? Are you working in a industry or in a university ?
I work in industry, but I know quite a few professors. I'll PM you with some more specific information.

I know one of the former directors of the nuclear engineering program in UToronto, but he since retired. AFAIK, it's a good program, but I think it's mostly oriented toward CANDU technology.

CANDU is a Canadian design of a nuclear reactor , as far as i know. Actually i have applied to
U of Toronto -------------Engineering Physics
McMaster University ------- Engineering Physics
U of Alberta -------- Engineering Physics
Queen's University -------- These four in Canada---- Engineering Physics

and
OSU --- in the US -- Nuclear Engineering

SO i am highly confused which one university to attend.

I think U of Toronto doesn't have nuclear engineering at undergrad level, neither U of Alberta nor Queen's university
However, McMaster Has. We can choose Nuclear Engineering and Energy Systems at fourth year to concentrate on( among 3 alternatives).

Which one do you think would be better, McMaster's Engineering Physics or OSU's Nuclear Engineering ?

1. What is nuclear engineering?

Nuclear engineering is a field of science and engineering that deals with the development, design, and application of nuclear energy and radiation technologies. This includes the use of nuclear reactors for power generation, as well as applications in medical imaging, food safety, and other industries.

2. What is the role of an undergraduate student in nuclear engineering?

An undergraduate student in nuclear engineering will typically learn the fundamental principles of nuclear physics, radiation protection, and reactor design. They may also have opportunities to participate in research projects or internships to gain hands-on experience in the field.

3. Are there any safety concerns associated with nuclear engineering?

Yes, safety is a major concern in nuclear engineering. Nuclear reactors and other technologies involve the use of radioactive materials, so proper safety protocols and regulations must be followed to protect the environment and public health.

4. What are the career opportunities for graduates with a degree in nuclear engineering?

Graduates with a degree in nuclear engineering can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including energy production, nuclear medicine, research and development, and regulatory agencies. They may also have opportunities for advanced studies in areas such as nuclear physics or materials science.

5. What skills are important for a successful career in nuclear engineering?

Strong mathematical and analytical skills, as well as a solid understanding of physics and chemistry, are essential for a career in nuclear engineering. Additionally, strong communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team are also important for success in this field.