Air Compressor Motor Selection & RPM Guide

In summary, when looking for an electric motor to match an 11 horsepower gas engine for an air compressor, it is important to consider the horsepower and RPM. While electric motors are often sized in horsepower, they provide more power at lower RPM than gas engines. It is recommended to look for a compressor duty motor from stores such as Grainger, Mcmaster Carr, or Northern Tool. However, an 11 horsepower motor may be too large for a home air compressor and may require a 220V power source and 40 amps.
Bob Hill
If I have an air compessor that uses an 11 horse power gas engine.
How do I know what size electric motor, and what RPM will do the same job?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't you just match the horsepower and rpm to the one you have?

Electric motors are often sized in H.P. They do however provide much more power at lower rpm than do gas engines. I would suggest you look for a compressor duty motor. Try Grainger, Mcmaster Carr or Northern Tool. 11 h.p is pretty big for a home air compressor. Will you be able to connect it to a 220V source? Even at 220V you will need almost 40 amps.

1. How do I determine the correct size of an air compressor motor?

The correct size of an air compressor motor is determined by calculating the required horsepower (HP) and matching it with the motor's rated HP. To determine the required HP, you will need to know the air demand of your tools or equipment, the compressor's duty cycle, and the compressor's efficiency. It's important to choose a motor with a slightly higher HP rating to ensure it can handle any potential increases in air demand.

2. What is the recommended RPM for an air compressor motor?

The recommended RPM for an air compressor motor depends on the type of compressor you are using. For a reciprocating air compressor, the recommended RPM range is typically between 900-1200 RPM. For a rotary screw compressor, the recommended RPM range is typically between 1750-3500 RPM.

3. Can I use a single-phase motor for my air compressor?

Yes, you can use a single-phase motor for your air compressor. However, single-phase motors are not as efficient as three-phase motors and may struggle to start under heavy loads. If possible, it is recommended to use a three-phase motor for larger air compressors.

4. How do I know if my air compressor motor is overheating?

If your air compressor motor is overheating, you may notice a burning smell or hear unusual noises coming from the motor. The motor may also shut off on its own or trip the circuit breaker. You can also check the motor's temperature by feeling the exterior. If it is too hot to touch, the motor is likely overheating.

5. Can I change the RPM of my air compressor motor?

Yes, it is possible to change the RPM of an air compressor motor, but it is not recommended. Changing the RPM can affect the motor's efficiency and may lead to overheating or premature failure. It is best to choose a motor with the correct RPM for your specific compressor needs.