Finding the Anti-Derivative of (sin x)^3/2 - Tips and Tricks

In summary, an antiderivative is the inverse operation of differentiation and is a function that, when differentiated, gives back the original function. The general formula for the antiderivative of (sin x)^3/2 is (2/3)(sin x)^(5/2) + C, and to find it, the power rule for integration can be used. This function can be expressed in terms of elementary functions, specifically the sine function, and has various applications in calculus, physics, and engineering.
LadiesMan
[SOLVED] Antiderivative of (sin x)^3/2

How do I find the anti-derivative of:

[tex]\int sin^{3/2}x[/tex]

I can't see where to start...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
LadiesMan said:
How do I find the anti-derivative of:

[tex]\int sin^{3/2}x dx[/tex]

I can't see where to start...

Thanks

[tex]sin^{\frac{3}{2}}x=(sin^3x)^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Remember that

[tex](ab)^n=a^nb^n[/tex]

ahhh ok thank you

What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is the inverse operation of differentiation. It is a function that, when differentiated, gives back the original function.

What is the general formula for the antiderivative of (sin x)^3/2?

The general formula for the antiderivative of (sin x)^3/2 is (2/3)(sin x)^(5/2) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

How do you find the antiderivative of (sin x)^3/2?

To find the antiderivative of (sin x)^3/2, you can use the power rule for integration, which states that the antiderivative of x^n is (1/(n+1))x^(n+1) + C. In this case, n = 3/2, so the antiderivative is (2/3)(sin x)^(5/2) + C.

Can the antiderivative of (sin x)^3/2 be expressed in terms of elementary functions?

Yes, the antiderivative of (sin x)^3/2 can be expressed in terms of elementary functions. In this case, the elementary function is the sine function.

What is the significance of (sin x)^3/2 in calculus?

(sin x)^3/2 is a commonly used function in calculus, and its antiderivative can be used to solve various integrals involving trigonometric functions. It also has applications in physics and engineering, such as in the calculation of arc lengths and areas under curves.