And now for something completely different

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary: Astro, I just had me an idea. Given the popularity of topiary art, you could sculpt your facial foliage into the semblance of a really fine sheep. :uhh::rofl: That sounds like a great idea!I could never sculpt anything like that.That sounds like a great idea!I could never sculpt anything like that.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
christ, guys used to walk around with these things all the time in the 1800s!

That one guy makes me want to go out and shoot a big buffalo.

Astronuc said:

:rofl: You're right, it's completely different! :biggrin:

Hmm...I think you should try for the look in the second photo. :biggrin:

I want mutton chops!

Cyrus said:
I want mutton chops!

Lamb chops are more tender. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
:rofl: You're right, it's completely different! :biggrin:

Hmm...I think you should try for the look in the second photo. :biggrin:
I don't like the curly stuff.

I like this one - http://www.worldbeardchampionships.com/gunnar.html .

I've always wanted a beard that I could tuck into my belt - like Gimli. :biggrin:

Weird. With a beard.

I am so unworthy :cry:
Those are some awesome beards!

I feel strangely inadequate with my box-beard now :frown:

Hootenanny said:
You need to submit your picture. :approve:

Astronuc said:
I don't like the curly stuff.

I like this one - http://www.worldbeardchampionships.com/gunnar.html .

I've always wanted a beard that I could tuck into my belt - like Gimli. :biggrin:

That would be fun indeed, currently I am working in a clean room, I think the clean room police shutter every time I gown up!

Integral said:
That would be fun indeed, currently I am working in a clean room, I think the clean room police shutter every time I gown up!
I was looking for job on an offshore oil rig, and I had to shave and cut my hair, because an oil soaked beard and hair were considered unsafe. That was May, 1981. I shaved for about 1 or 2 weeks, then I ended up getting a construction job onshore, so I stopped shaving. My kids have never seen me without a beard. Before that I had a beard from August '77 through mid May '81.

I might be excluded from some jobs or industrial sites in which respirators or gas (face) masks are required.

I shaved it off in ~'92, having had a beard since the late '70s. My wife had never seen me without a beard. I shaved, she screamed.. BUT IT BACK ON! Needless to say I have not shaved since. :rofl:

that's gross

for the record, me 2yr ago, I haven't changed much.

pic12.jpg

oedipa maas said:
Hey Astronuc, have you ever considered membership in the Flowing Hair Club For Scientists?

http://www.improbable.com/category/lfhcfs-hair-club/
Hmmmm. I'm not much for clubs.

My hair is a little shorter than Integral's, but then I trimmed it a couple of months ago to get rid of split ends. :rolleyes:

Nice photo, Integral! Looking very distinguished.

Hootenanny said:

I thought that we left our mention of merkins back in Franzbear. :uhh:

Danger said:
I thought that we left our mention of merkins back in Franzbear. :uhh:
:rofl: You won't be getting a picture of that! :rolf:

'merkins?

What have Americans got to do with this brouhaha?

jim mcnamara said:
What have Americans got to do with this brouhaha?

:rofl:

Red-blooded, God-fearin' 'merkins!

You'll have to consult a dictionary. Merkin = box-beard.

Astro, I just had me an idea. Given the popularity of topiary art, you could sculpt your facial foliage into the semblance of a really fine sheep. :uhh:

1. What does "And now for something completely different" mean?

"And now for something completely different" is a phrase often used to introduce a sudden change or shift in topic or subject matter. It can also be used to indicate a break from routine or predictability.

2. Where did the phrase "And now for something completely different" come from?

The phrase is famously used in the British comedy television show "Monty Python's Flying Circus" as a cue for unexpected and absurd sketches. It has since become a well-known catchphrase associated with the show.

3. Is "And now for something completely different" always used in a comedic context?

No, the phrase can be used in a variety of contexts, both serious and comedic. It is often used as a way to introduce a new and unexpected topic or idea, regardless of the tone or genre.

4. Can "And now for something completely different" be used in written language?

Yes, the phrase can be used in written language, particularly in informal or creative writing. It may also be used in titles or headings to indicate a change in subject matter.

5. Is "And now for something completely different" a commonly used expression?

While the phrase is well-known and has gained popularity through its use in media, it may not be considered a commonly used expression in everyday speech. It is more commonly associated with the specific context of "Monty Python's Flying Circus."