How Fast Will the Pulley Move Before M2 Hits the Ground?

Thank you for your help.In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving two masses connected by a rope and a pulley. The problem asks to determine the speed of the system just before it hits the ground using conservation of energy. The equation for acceleration is also mentioned.
JTHERO
Let me start off by saying I'm new here and I hope I did this in the format. Thank you.

Homework Statement

Two masses, M1= 35.0 kg and M2= 38.0 kg, are connected by a rope that hangs over a pulley. The pulley is a uniform cylinder of radius 0.381 m and mass 3.5 kg. Initially M1 is on the ground and rests 2.5 m above the ground. If the system is released, use conservation of energy to determine the speed of just before it strikes the ground. Assume the pulley bearing is frictionless.

Homework Equations

F= m*a Torque= r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the tension that M2-M1 put on the pulley.

F=(38.0-35.0)*9.8= 29.4

I'm a little lost after that. How do I find the speed of the pulley?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem tells you to use conservation of energy. Have you done that? What types of energy are present in the beginning and when the mass hits the ground?

i have the same problem is the equation for acceleration

a = (m2-m1)g/{(m1+m2)+.5m}

Thanks

I got it now.

What is a pulley with two masses?

A pulley with two masses is a simple machine that consists of a rope or cable wrapped around a wheel, with two masses attached to each end of the rope. The two masses are typically different weights, and the pulley allows for the transfer of force between them.

How does a pulley with two masses work?

A pulley with two masses works by reducing the amount of force needed to lift a heavier object. The pulley allows for the weight of the heavier object to be distributed between the two masses, making it easier to lift. As one mass goes down, the other goes up, creating a balance of forces.

What are the advantages of using a pulley with two masses?

The main advantage of using a pulley with two masses is that it reduces the amount of force needed to lift a heavy object. This makes it easier and safer for humans to lift heavy objects. Additionally, it allows for a more efficient transfer of force, making it a useful tool in many industries.

What factors affect the efficiency of a pulley with two masses?

The efficiency of a pulley with two masses can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the two masses, the angle of the pulley, and the friction between the rope and the pulley. The greater the difference in weight between the two masses, the more efficient the pulley will be.

What are some real-life applications of a pulley with two masses?

A pulley with two masses has many real-life applications, such as elevators, cranes, and weightlifting machines. It is also commonly used in transportation systems, such as ski lifts and zip lines. In addition, it is used in scientific experiments to demonstrate principles of force and motion.