Cloud Chamber Demonstration

In summary, Barny is looking for a high purity alcohol to use in his cloud chamber demonstration, and is also looking for an anti-fogging liquid to wipe the chamber. He is also wondering if liquid nitrogen will be cold enough.
Barny
Hi,

I'm attempting to make a condensation cloud chamber to display alpha and beta particle tracks to a class of school kids as part of my placement.

I get how it all works but I'm having real trouble with two things...

1) Finding a source of high purity alcohol.
2) Getting hold of some dry ice.

My questions are:

Will using methylated spirits work instead of the recommended propanol and will liquid nitrogen serve as an acceptable replacement to dry ice. I know its cold enough but am worried it might be too cold.

Cheers.

Barny

Physics news on Phys.org
I use ethanol, but then again, I get those rather easily here at the lab.

Using liquid nitrogen might be too cold unless you pour them into some metal container and rest the chamber on top of it. You want something that can sustain the cold temperature for a while without causing the alcohol to freeze.

You might also want to consider an anti-fogging liquid to wipe your chamber with. Depending on the humidity, you might not be able to see anything if your chamber becomes very cold due to the humidity condensing on your viewing area.

Zz.

Dry ice shouldn't be too much of a problem, it's in the yellow pages around here. Cloud chambers are pretty cool, it does make for a nifty demonstration. They do get foggy though. I don't know how well the anti-fog solution works, but I would give it a shot.

Alcohols, hmm perhaps ask a nearby Chem department as to where they get theirs?

ZapperZ said:
I use ethanol, but then again, I get those rather easily here at the lab.

Using liquid nitrogen might be too cold unless you pour them into some metal container and rest the chamber on top of it. You want something that can sustain the cold temperature for a while without causing the alcohol to freeze.

You might also want to consider an anti-fogging liquid to wipe your chamber with. Depending on the humidity, you might not be able to see anything if your chamber becomes very cold due to the humidity condensing on your viewing area.

Zz.

Thanks very much, most appreciated!

Your right that you can get dry ice out of the yellow pages, i just don't need 10Kg of it, which was their minimum order!

Cheers!

Keep it around in a cooler, it'll stay for a while. There's lots of fun stuff you can do with dry ice :)

What is a Cloud Chamber Demonstration?

A cloud chamber demonstration is a scientific experiment used to observe and study the paths of subatomic particles, such as alpha and beta particles, as they move through a supercooled cloud of alcohol vapor.

What materials are needed for a Cloud Chamber Demonstration?

To conduct a cloud chamber demonstration, you will need a glass chamber, dry ice, alcohol, a source of radiation (such as a piece of uranium or a small amount of radioactive material), and a strong light source.

How does a Cloud Chamber Demonstration work?

In a cloud chamber demonstration, the alcohol vapor is supercooled by the dry ice, creating a supersaturated environment in which the subatomic particles can leave a trail as they pass through. When the light source is shined into the chamber, it illuminates these trails, making them visible to the observer.

What can you learn from a Cloud Chamber Demonstration?

A cloud chamber demonstration allows scientists to study the behavior and properties of subatomic particles, such as their charge and energy, as well as their interactions with other particles and materials. This information can help us better understand the structure and composition of matter.

Are there any safety concerns when conducting a Cloud Chamber Demonstration?

Yes, there are some safety considerations to keep in mind when conducting a cloud chamber demonstration. It is important to handle the dry ice and alcohol with caution, as they can be harmful if ingested or touched with bare hands. Additionally, the source of radiation should be handled and disposed of properly according to safety guidelines.