How aircons take in fresh air?

• Thread starter pixel01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, air conditioners in small spaces like cars or small rooms have an air intake that provides fresh air. Poor air quality can cause tiredness, but this is due to too much CO2, not lack of O2. In cars, the worst condition from insufficient fresh air is high humidity. In small rooms, it depends on the size and type of HVAC system. Most through-the-wall air conditioners have outside air capability, but it is not necessary in a house unless there are a lot of people in the room. Codes do not require ventilation in houses because they are not tightly sealed and typically have operable windows.
pixel01
My question is : In small spaces like cars or small rooms, how can aircons take in fresh air? In some cases, I feel tired for lack of O2?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You won't feel tired from poor air quality unless you have a very tightly-sealed box. And it isn't lack of O2 that causes it, but too much CO2. I once did a study on a school that was unventilated, in violation of code. The worst CO2 concentration I measured was something like 2500 ppm. Typical ambient is 400-600 and you don't start feeling the effects of high CO2 until 10,000-20,000.

Cars have an air intake that provides fresh air. The worst condition you usually have if there is insufficient fresh air in a car is high humidity. If your car allows manual control of the fresh air (usually a pushbutton with an icon for recirculating air or bringing in fresh air - an arrow running through the car or looping around in it), try this next time you are out on a cold morning (30-40F): Leave the fresh air shut off for a while - you'll notice the windows start to fog up and you'll notice the air feel "heavier" to breathe. Then open the outside air intake. You'll quickly notice the humidity drop.

In small rooms, it depends on how small and what kind of HVAC you have. If it is a through-the-wall air conditioner, most have outside air capability, but I wouldn't ever use it: unless you have a lot of people in the room, a house is not tight enough to trap much moisture or CO2, which is why codes do not require ventilation in a house (that and they typically have operable windows).

russ_watters said:
You won't feel tired from poor air quality unless you have a very tightly-sealed box. And it isn't lack of O2 that causes it, but too much CO2. I once did a study on a school that was unventilated, in violation of code. The worst CO2 concentration I measured was something like 2500 ppm. Typical ambient is 400-600 and you don't start feeling the effects of high CO2 until 10,000-20,000.

Cars have an air intake that provides fresh air. The worst condition you usually have if there is insufficient fresh air in a car is high humidity. If your car allows manual control of the fresh air (usually a pushbutton with an icon for recirculating air or bringing in fresh air - an arrow running through the car or looping around in it), try this next time you are out on a cold morning (30-40F): Leave the fresh air shut off for a while - you'll notice the windows start to fog up and you'll notice the air feel "heavier" to breathe. Then open the outside air intake. You'll quickly notice the humidity drop.

In small rooms, it depends on how small and what kind of HVAC you have. If it is a through-the-wall air conditioner, most have outside air capability, but I wouldn't ever use it: unless you have a lot of people in the room, a house is not tight enough to trap much moisture or CO2, which is why codes do not require ventilation in a house (that and they typically have operable windows).

Thanks for the explanation

1) How does an aircon take in fresh air?

An air conditioner uses a compressor and a refrigerant to cool the air. The refrigerant absorbs heat from the air and releases it outside, while the compressor circulates the cooled air back into the room. This process does not involve taking in fresh air from outside.

2) Can an aircon bring in fresh air from outside?

Most air conditioners do not have the capability to bring in fresh air from outside. However, some newer models may have a feature that allows for outdoor air intake.

3) Why is it important for an aircon to take in fresh air?

Taking in fresh air helps to improve indoor air quality and prevents the buildup of stale air. It also helps to balance the humidity levels in the room and can reduce the risk of respiratory problems.

4) How can I increase the amount of fresh air in my room with an aircon?

You can increase the amount of fresh air in your room by regularly opening windows or using exhaust fans to bring in outdoor air. Some air conditioners also have a feature to bring in fresh air, but this may increase energy consumption.

5) Can an aircon filter out pollutants from the fresh air it takes in?

Yes, most air conditioners have a filter that can help remove pollutants and allergens from the air. However, these filters need to be regularly cleaned or replaced to maintain their effectiveness. It is also important to properly maintain and clean the air conditioning unit to prevent the buildup of pollutants inside the system.