Buying Digital Voice Recorder for Lectures

In summary, the conversation discusses the possible use of a digital voice recorder for taking lecture notes. The speaker is looking for a recorder that can connect to a laptop and be used with headphones. They ask for recommendations and also mention the possibility of using a Windows voice recorder. Another person shares their experience using a tape player in grad school and the benefits of having a good relationship with a professor. The conversation ends with a question about the effectiveness of using a Windows voice recorder and the importance of using a good quality microphone.
undrcvrbro
I'm definately thinking about buying a digital voice recorder to tape my lectures. I wanted some that could hook up to a laptop and that I could listen to with headphones. Is this possible. I've never done this so I don't know where to look. Does anyone have a brand or model of preference?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Isn't there a recorder in Windows? Hook up a mic and go to town while typing or writing notes.

I used a tape player in grad school for some of my courses, my Relativity prof even stopped so I could flip the tape. In exchange, he used my notes the next time he taught the course.

Dr Transport said:
Isn't there a recorder in Windows? Hook up a mic and go to town while typing or writing notes.

I used a tape player in grad school for some of my courses, my Relativity prof even stopped so I could flip the tape. In exchange, he used my notes the next time he taught the course.
Haha that's pretty awesome about your prof. I could only wish to develop that kind of relationship with a prof. It would help on grad school recommendations, I'm sure.
Would Windows voice recorder even work that well though? I suppose that would just depend on the type of mic, right?

1. What features should I look for in a digital voice recorder for lectures?

When purchasing a digital voice recorder for lectures, it is important to consider factors such as recording quality, battery life, storage capacity, and ease of use. Look for a recorder with high audio quality, long battery life, ample storage space, and user-friendly features such as a clear display and easy file transfer options.

2. Are there any specific brands or models that are recommended for recording lectures?

There are many brands and models of digital voice recorders on the market, and it ultimately depends on personal preference and budget. Some popular brands for recording lectures include Olympus, Sony, and Zoom. It is recommended to read reviews and compare features to find the best fit for your needs.

3. Can I use my smartphone as a digital voice recorder for lectures?

Yes, many smartphones have a built-in voice recorder app that can be used for recording lectures. However, keep in mind that the audio quality may not be as high as a dedicated voice recorder and you may need to transfer the files to a computer for storage and organization.

4. Is it necessary to have a digital voice recorder with a long recording time for lectures?

It depends on the length of your lectures. If you are recording longer lectures, it may be beneficial to have a recorder with a longer recording time or the ability to expand storage through external memory cards. However, if your lectures are shorter, a recorder with a shorter recording time may suffice.

5. Can I edit my recordings on a digital voice recorder?

Some digital voice recorders have basic editing features, such as trimming and organizing files. However, for more advanced editing, it is recommended to transfer the files to a computer and use audio editing software. Make sure to check the features of the recorder before purchasing if editing is important to you.