Wave Motion, writing an equation.

In summary: Good grief.In summary, we discussed the equation for a sinusoidal wave traveling in the -x direction with an amplitude of 20.0 cm, a wavelength of 29.0 cm, and a frequency of 15.0 Hz. We determined the expression for the wave function y(x,t) to be y(x,t) = 20.0sin(0.217x+94.25t-0.1506). We also corrected a mistake in the input of the expression.
Ithryndil

Homework Statement

A sinusoidal wave traveling in the -x direction (to the left) has an amplitude of 20.0 cm, a wavelength of 29.0 cm, and a frequency of 15.0 Hz. The transverse position of an element of the medium at t = 0, x = 0 is y = -3.00 cm, and the element has a positive velocity here.

Write an expression for the wave function y(x,t), where y and x are expressed in cm, and t is expressed in seconds.

Homework Equations

[tex]\omega = 2\pif[/tex]

v=(lambda)(frequency)

[tex] k = 2\pi/\lambda[/tex]

[tex] y(x,t) = Asin[\left(2\pi/\lambda\right)(x - vt)][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

We are given the fact that:

[tex]A = 20.0cm[/tex]

[tex]\lambda = 29cm[/tex]

[tex] v = (lambda)(frequency) = 435cm/s[/tex]

I think the answer is the following, but I am not sure, and I only have one more submission left, so I want to be sure.

[tex] y(x,t) = -20.0cos[.217(x-435t)][/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have any idea if I am correct?

Hi Ithryndil,

If you check your answer at x=0 and t=0, you get that y=-20 cm. However, this is not what the problem specifies; they say they want x==-3cm at x=0 and t=0.

I think you need to include a phase constant in your expression that will give the correct initial condition.

You mean y = 3 cm? And I think so too. I just realized that the general equation for y(x,t) is as follows:

[tex]
y(x,t) = Asin(kx - vt + \phi)]
[/tex]

I think the above equation is for a wave traveling to the right. I think because this wave is traveling to the left it needs to be:

[tex]
y(x,t) = Asin(kx + vt + \phi)]
[/tex]

Yes, I did mean y= -3 cm. Sorry!

Your updated equation looks good. Once you plug in the numbers you found, you can check that it matches y=-3cm at x=0 and t=0 and that it also has a positive velocity (in the y direction at that point).

Alright, thank you for the help.

Ithryndil said:
[tex]
y(x,t) = A\sin(kx + vt + \phi)]
[/tex]

That is almost correct. There should either be some more parentheses inside the sin argument, or replace vt with [tex]\omega t[/tex].

You're right, it should be: [tex]y(x,t) = A\sin(kx + \omegat + \phi)[/tex]

I wound up getting the following for the equation:

[tex]y(x,t)20.0sin(0.217x+94.25t-0.1506)[/tex]

Now I was stupid and input [tex]y(x,t)20.0cos(0.217x+94.25t-0.1506)[/tex]...note I put cosine and not sine. Yes, the cosine would be correct with the right phase angle, but it's not with that phase angle.

Your expression (using sin) looks good. :smile:

Thank you. I just can't believe I inputted the expression with cos instead of sin.

1. What is the equation for wave motion?

The equation for wave motion is given by: y(x,t) = A sin(kx - ωt + φ), where y is the displacement of the wave, x is the position, t is the time, A is the amplitude, k is the wave number, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

2. How is wave motion related to energy?

Wave motion is related to energy through the energy equation: E = hν = hc/λ, where E is the energy, h is Planck's constant, ν is the frequency, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength. This equation shows that the energy of a wave is directly proportional to its frequency and inversely proportional to its wavelength.

3. What is the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves?

Transverse waves are characterized by the particles of the medium moving perpendicular to the direction of the wave propagation, while longitudinal waves have particles moving parallel to the direction of the wave propagation. Examples of transverse waves include water waves and electromagnetic waves, while sound waves are examples of longitudinal waves.

4. How do you calculate the velocity of a wave?

The velocity of a wave can be calculated using the equation: v = λν = ω/k, where v is the velocity, λ is the wavelength, ν is the frequency, ω is the angular frequency, and k is the wave number. This equation shows that the velocity of a wave is dependent on its wavelength and frequency.

5. What factors affect the speed of a wave?

The speed of a wave is affected by the properties of the medium it travels through, such as density, elasticity, and temperature. For example, sound waves travel faster in denser mediums, while light waves travel slower in denser mediums. The wavelength and frequency of the wave also affect its speed, as shown in the equation v = λν. Additionally, the speed of a wave can be affected by external forces, such as gravity or wind, in the case of water waves.