Calculate the Current, Lost Volt and P.d across parallel resistors?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the current and potential difference across parallel resistors using the equations I = V/R and V = IR. The "lost volt" is not clearly defined, but it is suggested to be the resistance inside the battery. The final solution for the potential difference across the parallel resistors is 7V, after subtracting the lost volt from the battery's voltage.
looi76

Homework Statement

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9121/10052008ei3.png
(a) Calculate the Current across parallel resistors.
(b) Calculate the lost volt across parallel resistors.
(c) Calculate the potential difference across parallel resistors.

Homework Equations

[tex]I = \frac{V}{R}[/tex]

[tex]Lost \ Volt = Ir[/tex]

[tex]V = IR[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) [tex]1.5A[/tex] (I just added the currents of the parallel resistors.)

(b) [tex]Lost \ Volt = Ir[/tex]

[tex]= 1.3 \times 1.5[/tex]

[tex]= 1.95V[/tex]

[tex]= 2.0V[/tex]

(c) Need Help in solving it...

Thnx in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly does "lost volt" refer to?

For (c), recall what is the expression for voltage across a resistor. Also try to recall what so special about the potential difference across parallen circuit components. Then just plug in the numbers and you're done.

That the problem, I don't really know what Lost Volt is?!

(c) [tex]V_1 = IR = 1.17 \times 6 = 7V[/tex]

[tex]V_2 = IR = 0.33 \times 21 = 7V[/tex]

So, the voltage across the parallel resistors is [tex]7V[/tex] ?

Yes, that should be it. Anyway, I have no idea what "lost volt" refers to. Maybe you could ask your teacher who set the question.

I'm pretty sure the lost volt is the resistance inside the battery. Once you work out the lost volt you can minus that from the voltage of the battery and work out the real value of V. Most questions don't include thw lost volt because it is quite small and considered negible. I think they are probably just making you aware of it and know hoe=w to calculate it.

1. How do I calculate the current in a parallel resistor circuit?

To calculate the current in a parallel circuit, you can use the total resistance and the total voltage of the circuit. Simply divide the total voltage by the total resistance to find the current.

2. What is the formula for calculating the lost volt in parallel resistors?

The formula for calculating the lost volt in a parallel resistor circuit is Vlost = (R2/(R1+R2)) * Vtotal, where R1 and R2 are the individual resistances and Vtotal is the total voltage in the circuit.

3. How do I find the p.d (potential difference) across a parallel resistor?

To find the p.d across a parallel resistor, you can use Ohm's Law (V=IR). Calculate the current in the circuit using the total resistance and total voltage, then use Ohm's Law to find the p.d across the desired resistor.

4. Can I use the same formula for calculating current, lost volt and p.d in a series resistor circuit?

No, the formulas for calculating current, lost volt, and p.d are different for series and parallel resistor circuits. In a series circuit, current is the same throughout the circuit, while in a parallel circuit, current is divided among the branches. The formulas for lost volt and p.d also differ in series and parallel circuits.

5. How do I know which resistors are in parallel in a complex circuit?

In a complex circuit, resistors are in parallel if they have the same two nodes connected together. You can also use a multimeter to measure the resistance between different points in the circuit to determine which resistors are in parallel.