Discovering the Wavelength of a Dog Whistle | Quiz-Ready Guide

In summary, dogs have the ability to hear high frequencies that humans cannot detect. This is why dog whistles, which emit frequencies that are inaudible to humans, are easily heard by dogs. To find the wavelength of sound emitted by a dog whistle with a frequency of 30,0000 Hz, the equation speed=Hz(Wavelength) can be used, but the speed of sound is needed. However, the exercise/book does not provide the speed, so additional information, such as the speed of sound through air, may be necessary.
Khemkhajon

Homework Statement

Dogs are able to hear mucher hgher frequencies than humans are capable f detecting. For this reason, dog whistles that are inaudible to the human ear, can be easily heard by a dog. If a dog whistle has a frequency of 30,0000 Hz, what is the wavelength of sound emitted.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I was trying to find the wavelength using the equation speed=Hz(Wavelength) but I don't have the speed. So I am really lost. If
anyone could guide me in some helpful equations I might need, because I have a quiz on this tomorrow

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the book/excercise you got the question doesn't give you the speed?

Defennder said:
Are you sure the book/excercise you got the question doesn't give you the speed?

Yea positive. Checked it twice that's why I was confused.

Maybe I have to know the speed of sound through Air?

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of wavelength in science?

Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points on a wave that have the same phase, such as two peaks or two troughs.

2. How is wavelength measured?

Wavelength is typically measured in meters (m) or its multiples, such as nanometers (nm) or micrometers (μm). It can also be measured in units of time, such as seconds (s) or milliseconds (ms), depending on the type of wave being studied.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

Wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as wavelength increases, frequency decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of light / frequency.

4. How does wavelength affect the properties of a wave?

The wavelength of a wave affects its energy, speed, and direction. Longer wavelengths have less energy and lower frequencies, while shorter wavelengths have more energy and higher frequencies. Wavelength also determines the color of light and the pitch of sound waves.

5. How is wavelength used in different scientific fields?

Wavelength is used in a variety of scientific fields, such as astronomy, physics, and chemistry. In astronomy, it is used to study the properties and origins of celestial objects. In physics, it is used to understand the behavior and properties of different types of waves. In chemistry, it is used to analyze the composition of substances through techniques like spectrophotometry.