Max Force Humans Can Exert When Kicking Off Ground

In summary, the maximum amount of force that a human can exert when kicking off the ground is approximately 2000N, based on a rough estimate. This is demonstrated by the world high jump record of 2.45m, where the center of mass of the jumper rose to 2.40m. However, this may vary depending on the individual's height, weight, and the specific movement being used.
vinny11
When kicking off the ground, what is the maximum amount of force that human's can exert?
Any references?

Physics news on Phys.org
rough estimate: 2000N

the world high jump record is 2.45m. A good high jumper can actually have his center of mass pass under the bar by arching around it, so say his center of mass rose to 2.40m. The dude who did it is 1.94m tall. The center of mass of a man is about .56 his height (hypertextbook.com/facts/2006/centerofmass.shtml), so that's 1.09m. So he jumped 1.31m. I don't know what he weighed, but 80kg is a reasonable guess. The impulse would have to have been 406 kg*m/s.

To figure out over how long a time that impulse was delivered, imagine he bent his knees to 90 degrees, then straightened them, lifting himself .5m before taking off. If his acceleration was constant in that time, it would have taken him .20 seconds, yielding a force of 2000N.

on second thought, it should be more. people can deadlift 455kg, so that's 4500N right there.

What exactly do you mean by kicking?

meichenl gives two examples - a high jumper and a deadlifter. Personally, I'd classify both movements as pushing, not kicking...

ddelaiarro said:
What exactly do you mean by kicking?

meichenl gives two examples - a high jumper and a deadlifter. Personally, I'd classify both movements as pushing, not kicking...

isn't a kick just a type of push?

well, I suppose it could be. But, when I 'hear' kick, I thinking of kicking a soccer ball or a football. I think we'd all agree that that movement is different than a pushing type movement...

Hmm, In a way I see what you mean. When one kicks a ball properly (football=soccer ball to me I'm afraid) one stops applying force on contact with the ball and let's the transfer of momentum from the foot to the ball move the ball forward. However it really is a very related question.

vinny11 why do you assume he bent his knees to 90 degrees? High jumpers always start with a run so this assumption might be the problem with your calculation i.e I think the actual impulse lasts way less than 0.2 seconds.

check out this guy for instance:

even in slow mo his foot is in contact with the ground for far less than 0.2s.

Last edited by a moderator:
jbunten,

maybe it's less than .2 sec, although just by watching the video i can't tell. is there an easy way to count the number of frames it takes him to take off, and divide by the frame rate?

jbunten said:
Hmm, In a way I see what you mean. When one kicks a ball properly (football=soccer ball to me I'm afraid) one stops applying force on contact with the ball and let's the transfer of momentum from the foot to the ball move the ball forward. However it really is a very related question.
In fact, it's the same question. Over a duration approaching zero (i.e. before gravity is a significant factor), kicking a soccer ball is the same as kicking off a much much MUCH larger ball. :biggrin:

1. What is the maximum force that a human can exert when kicking off the ground?

The maximum force that a human can exert when kicking off the ground varies depending on factors such as age, physical fitness, and technique. However, on average, an adult human can exert a force of around 2,000 Newtons (N) when kicking off the ground.

2. How does the maximum force of a kick vary between individuals?

The maximum force of a kick can vary significantly between individuals due to differences in physical strength, technique, and training. Additionally, factors such as gender, body weight, and muscle composition can also impact the maximum force that a person can exert when kicking off the ground.

3. Can the maximum force of a kick be improved through training?

Yes, the maximum force of a kick can be improved through training. By strengthening the muscles involved in kicking, improving technique, and increasing overall physical fitness, an individual can increase the force they can exert when kicking off the ground.

4. Is there a limit to the maximum force a human can exert when kicking off the ground?

Yes, there is a limit to the maximum force a human can exert when kicking off the ground. This limit is determined by factors such as the strength and structure of the human body, as well as the laws of physics. It is unlikely that a human can exert a force greater than 5,000 N when kicking off the ground.

5. How does the maximum force of a kick compare to other physical activities?

The maximum force of a kick can vary greatly depending on the individual and the type of kick. However, on average, a kick can exert a force equivalent to lifting around 200-300 pounds. This is comparable to other physical activities such as weightlifting and jumping, but is significantly lower than the maximum force exerted in activities like punching and throwing.