Solving Two Lenses In A Row Homework Problem

In summary: So the final image is at s_i= 18.75cm, which would make the final image 6.25cm behind the second lense.In summary, the problem involves two lenses, one converging with a focal length of 20.0cm and one diverging with a focal length of -10.0cm, placed 25.0cm apart. The first lens forms an image at 30.0cm, which becomes the object for the second lens. Using the lens equation and treating the first image as a virtual object, the final image is found to be at 18.75cm, 6.25cm behind the second lens.
kkrizka

Homework Statement

Two lenses, one converging with focal length 20.0cm and one diverging with focal length -10.0cm, are placed 25.cm apart. An object is placed 60.0cm in front of the converging lense. Determine the position of the final image.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{1}{s_i} + \frac{1}{s_o} = \frac{1}{f}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the idea behind this problem is that the image of the first lense becomes the object for the second lense. So the first thing I did was to calculate the position of the image of the first lense.
[tex]s_i=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{f} - \frac{1}{s_o}}=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{20} - \frac{1}{60}}=30cm[/tex]
Now the part I am stuck on is that according to this, the image of the first lense is behind the second lense (the separation of the two lenses is only 25cm). I'm not sure where to go next.

Would it be sensible to say that you treat the image of the first lense as sort of a "virtual" object... Meaning that you have to look through the second lense towards the first image to see it. My problem with this is that if you look through the second lense is such a way, then the light rays are going away from you and will never hit your eyes.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're going about it the right way. You should be able to work out the object distance for the second lens in terms of their separation and the image distance from the first lens. Then you can work out the resulting image distance in terms of the focal lengths the separation and the object distance from the first lens.

Hmm, so it does not matter that the rays from the first lens go through the second lens and then form the first image?

the image that forms from the first lens will be a virtual object for the next lens. you need to make your sign convention follow along with this. Dont worry about the lenses in combination, just worry about them separately.

Ah thanks!

What is the concept behind solving two lenses in a row homework problem?

The concept behind solving two lenses in a row homework problem is understanding the principles of geometric optics and how light rays behave when passing through different media, such as lenses.

What are the steps involved in solving a two lenses in a row homework problem?

The steps involved in solving a two lenses in a row homework problem include identifying the given parameters, applying the lens equations, and using the principle of refraction to calculate the final image position and magnification.

What are the key equations used in solving two lenses in a row homework problems?

The key equations used in solving two lenses in a row homework problems are the thin lens equation, which relates the focal length, object distance, and image distance, and the magnification equation, which relates the size of the object and the image.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving two lenses in a row homework problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving two lenses in a row homework problems include forgetting to convert units, using the wrong sign convention, and not considering the effect of the first lens on the second lens.

How can I check my answer when solving a two lenses in a row homework problem?

You can check your answer by using the magnification equation and comparing the calculated image position and magnification with the given values. Additionally, you can construct a ray diagram to visualize the path of light rays through the lenses and confirm your solution.