Understanding Student Aid: Confusion Over Income Limits and Funding for Couples

• Thread starter Jordan Joab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Student
In summary, the conversation involves the speaker's confusion over their wife receiving less federal student aid due to their household's income of $20,000 and both of them attending college. They contacted FAFSA for clarification and were told that each individual should receive separate funding. The speaker is still unsure and asks for an explanation, while discussing possible solutions to avoid debt after graduation.
Jordan Joab
According to the school my wife is attending, she will receive less federal student aid because I will be going to college. Their explanation was that since we made $20,000 last year and two people are going to college she can't receive full funding. We contacted FAFSA and they explained that each of us should receive separate funding.

To break it down even further:

- Between my wife and I, we earned $20,000 last year (two people living on $20,000 in NYC!).
- The school says that's a "lot" of money for two people.
- The school says if both of us go to school, she receives less money.
- She still has grant money left over that the school says can't be refunded/credited.

This doesn't make sense to me. Could I please get an explanation? Thanks.

Jordan Joab.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this that schools complaint board?

Poverty level for two people in lower 48 states is $13,000 for 2007. Maybe they went by this figure.

http://aspe.hhs.gov/POVERTY/07poverty.shtml

DeanBH said:
Is this that schools complaint board?

No, it is not.

Perhaps someone has had the same experience and said person could tell me how they solved that problem that way I can apply it to my particular problem. Perhaps this is a common procedure for educational institutions that I was not aware of. In any case, thank you for being so helpful.

Jordan Joab.

waht said:
Poverty level for two people in lower 48 states is $13,000 for 2007. Maybe they went by this figure.

http://aspe.hhs.gov/POVERTY/07poverty.shtml

Great link. The school is the one that determines how much federal aid a person receives, incorrect? This is confusing. I explained this situation to a FAFSA representative and their answer was that any funding an individual receives should not be affected by the number of people in the household attending college. Thank you for the link.

Jordan Joab.

I would have assumed it would be the other way around - ie. if one of you is working and earning a decent paycheque, the other would not qualify for as much financial support. Perhaps though, it's just a number's thing. You qualify for Y amount of support based on a household income of X? (I don't know about such things).

My advice is to do whatever you can to avoid the debt that comes once you graduate.

One friend of mine managed to purchase a house during undergrad. I imagine he had someone to co-sign the mortgage, but basically he lived in the loft suit and rented out all the other rooms. That made him enough money to pay the mortgage and have some left over. By his fourth year he'd purchased a second house across the street.

1. What is student aid and who is eligible for it?

Student aid refers to any type of financial assistance provided to students to help them pay for the cost of higher education. This can include grants, scholarships, loans, and work-study programs. Eligibility for student aid is determined by a variety of factors, including financial need, academic performance, and enrollment status.

2. What are income limits and how do they affect student aid?

Income limits refer to the maximum amount of income a student or their family can have in order to qualify for certain types of student aid. These limits are set by the government and can vary depending on the type of aid and the student's dependency status. Generally, students from lower income families will have a higher chance of receiving aid.

3. Can couples receive student aid?

Yes, couples can receive student aid, but their eligibility will depend on their combined income and assets. If both partners are attending college, their combined income and assets will be taken into consideration when determining aid eligibility. If only one partner is attending college, their individual income and assets will be used.

4. What happens if a student's family income changes after they have applied for aid?

If a student's family income changes significantly after they have applied for aid, they can submit a request for a review of their financial aid package. This is known as a special circumstances review and can result in an increase or decrease in aid depending on the change in income. However, not all changes in income will result in a change in aid.

5. Is it possible to receive too much student aid?

Yes, it is possible for a student to receive too much student aid. This can occur if the student's financial need is overestimated or if they receive aid from multiple sources. In these cases, the student may be required to repay some of the aid, or it may affect their eligibility for aid in future years. It is important for students to carefully review their aid packages and only accept the amount they truly need.