Guest Posters: Learn How Physics Forums Operates

• Thread starter Redbelly98
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of non-member "Guest" posts in the sci.physics.research forum on the Physics Forums website. It is explained that these posts are actually from a separate usenet forum and are routed to PF through an interface. The reason for the appearance of guest replies on threads started by non-members is due to the fact that most posters on the usenet forum are not PF members.
Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I'm just curious about some of the postings in here that are by non-members, i.e. "Guests". Are these posts from some other site that are getting routed over to here?

It seems that threads that are started by a Guest will often have responses from other guests, whereas threads started by a member never have Guests' replies.

Just wondering about the inner workings of how PF operates, that's all.

p.s. here is an example of a "Guest thread", in case anybody wonders what I'm talking about:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=239760

Physics news on Phys.org
That forum, sci.physics.research, is a usenet forum and is not really part of PF--we just have an interface to it. PF members can post to it, but most of the posters to s.p.r. are not PF members and did not post through PF. That's why they show up as "guests".

Ah, I hadn't noticed that these were all showing up in the same sub-forum. Thanks!

1. How can I become a guest poster on Physics Forums?

To become a guest poster on Physics Forums, you can simply create an account on the website and start participating in discussions. Once you have established a presence on the forum and have contributed valuable insights and knowledge, you may be invited by the moderators to become a guest poster.

2. What are the benefits of being a guest poster on Physics Forums?

Being a guest poster on Physics Forums allows you to share your expertise and knowledge with a large community of scientists and students. It also provides a platform for networking and collaborating with other professionals in your field.

3. Are there any guidelines for posting as a guest on Physics Forums?

Yes, there are guidelines for guest posters on Physics Forums. These include maintaining a professional and respectful tone, citing sources when necessary, and adhering to the forum's rules and regulations. It is important to follow these guidelines to maintain the integrity of the forum and promote healthy discussions.

4. Can I post about any topic as a guest on Physics Forums?

As a guest poster on Physics Forums, you are encouraged to share your knowledge and expertise on a variety of topics related to science and physics. However, it is important to ensure that your posts are relevant and appropriate for the forum's audience.

5. Will my status as a guest poster change if I become a regular member of Physics Forums?

No, your status as a guest poster will not change if you become a regular member of Physics Forums. However, you may be invited to become a regular contributor or moderator based on your contributions and involvement in the forum.