I used the definitions, now what?

In summary, the conversation was about proving two statements:1. R \cap ( S \cup T ) = (R \cap S) \cup (R \cap T)2. S \cap ( S \cup T ) = SThe attempt at a solution involved using definitions and logical conclusions to show that the two statements are equivalent. Specifically, for (1), it was shown that the left-hand side (LHS) is equivalent to the right-hand side (RHS) by showing that the LHS is down to x e R and (x e S or x e T), while the RHS is (x e R and x e S) or (x e R and x e T). This can be further
JinM

Homework Statement

Prove:

1. [tex] R \cap ( S \cup T ) = (R \cap S) \cup (R \cap T)[/tex]

2. [tex] S \cap ( S \cup T ) = S[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

I suppose this is all about using the definitions, and I eventually get down to this:

For (1), the LHS is down to x e R and (x e S or x e T), while the RHS is (x e R and x e S) or (x e R and x e T). There's one small leap here, I know. How do I show these two are equivalent?

For (2), I should show that (x e S) and (x e S or x e T) is equivalent to (x e S). What logical conclusion am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
If nothing else, use a truth table. x is either in or is not in R, S and T. That leaves you eight cases. Four in the second one. Is the logic true in all cases? With some moderate cleverness you don't even have to check all eight. Sure, it's just logic.

for (2), if x is in the lhs then x is in S and (S or T). So x is in the rhs.
If x is in the rhs, x is in S and so x is in (S or T). So x is in S and (S or T), so x is in the lhs.

Thus the lhs is a subset of the rhs and the rhs a subset of the lhs, so the two sets are equal.

Thanks guys -- that got me on the right track.

1. What are the next steps after using definitions in my research?

After using definitions in your research, the next step is to analyze the data and observations gathered. This can involve statistical analysis, comparing results to previous studies, and forming conclusions based on the evidence. It is also important to consider any limitations or alternative explanations for your findings.

2. How can I ensure that the definitions I used are accurate and reliable?

To ensure the accuracy and reliability of the definitions used in your research, it is important to validate them through multiple sources. This can include consulting with experts in the field, reviewing relevant literature, and conducting pilot studies to test the definitions. It is also important to clearly define and operationalize the terms used in your research.

3. Can I use definitions from previous studies in my own research?

Yes, you can use definitions from previous studies in your own research as long as you properly cite the source and ensure that the definitions are relevant to your study. However, it is recommended to critically evaluate and potentially adapt the definitions to fit the specific context of your research.

4. What should I do if I encounter conflicting definitions in my research?

If you encounter conflicting definitions in your research, it is important to carefully examine the sources and consider the context in which the definitions were used. You may also need to consult with experts in the field and potentially conduct further research to clarify the definitions and reach a consensus.

5. Are there any ethical considerations when using definitions in research?

Yes, there are ethical considerations when using definitions in research. It is important to ensure that the definitions used are not biased or discriminatory, and that they accurately represent the population being studied. Additionally, proper credit should be given to the source of the definitions and any potential conflicts of interest should be disclosed.