Solving Frictionless Masses: Find F & Accelerations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving three masses, with the goal of finding the force F that will keep one of the masses stationary in relation to the other two. The conversation also explores the effect of F on the acceleration of the masses and the role of tension in the problem. Overall, the key concept is that F and the force acting on m2 must have the same acceleration.
asi123

Homework Statement

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14568&stc=1&d=1214858251"

There is no friction between the masses.
The first part of the question is to find the force F so that m2 will be in rest (in respect to m3).
The second part is, what are the accelerations of the masses when F=0?

Ok, I have my own question, how does F affect m2, it's like on the other way around?

10x in advance.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 564
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about this problem as if m3 wasn't there.

Once F acts, m2 is, relative to the ground, stationary, and m1 will be accelerated to the right.

Now, think about the problem as if m2 wasn't there.

Once F acts, m1 and m3 are accelerated to the right, and m3 falls to the ground.

Now, put both systems together, but take out F. m2 is now being pulled to the right with a force of m3g.

Now, put back in F:
What force does F need to be to match that acceleration of m2? Alternatively, what happens when F is much greater than the force of gravity? (no the answer isn't infinity, this is just a conceptual hint)

Last edited:
Also think about the fact that the pulley is attached to mass 1, and mass 2 is in contact with the pulley

calef said:
Think about this problem as if m3 wasn't there.

Once F acts, m2 is, relative to the ground, stationary, and m1 will be accelerated to the right.

Now, think about the problem as if m2 wasn't there.

Once F acts, m1 and m3 are accelerated to the right, and m3 falls to the ground.

Now, put both systems together, but take out F. m2 is now being pulled to the right with a force of m3g.

Now, put back in F:
What force does F need to be to match that acceleration of m2? Alternatively, what happens when F is much greater than the force of gravity? (no the answer isn't infinity, this is just a conceptual hint)

I still don't get what is the force that makes m2 not to be pull to the right towards m3?
Is it F?
Can I say F = T?

10x again.

That's another tricky part. There's no force "opposing" m2's motion.

Imagine you're standing on an infinite plane of ice, and let's say your feet are frictionless against the surface. Suddenly you're being pulled along by a rope with magnitude, let's saaaay, m3g.

So you're gliding along this ice surface, but suddenly, the whole ice surface starts speeding up in the same direction you're going.

To you, it would feel like you were slowing down, up until the surface is moving at the same speed you are. Once this happens, it feels like you aren't moving at all. But really, you and the ice surface are traveling at the same speed.

This is what's happening with the blocks. m1 is the "surface". F has the same acceleration as m2. m2, analogous to you-standing-on-our-ice-world, is being pulled along with magnitude m3g. The surface of the ice, when it's moving the same speed as "you", must have the same acceleration as m2 for the mass on the pulley not to fall.

calef said:
That's another tricky part. There's no force "opposing" m2's motion.

Imagine you're standing on an infinite plane of ice, and let's say your feet are frictionless against the surface. Suddenly you're being pulled along by a rope with magnitude, let's saaaay, m3g.

So you're gliding along this ice surface, but suddenly, the whole ice surface starts speeding up in the same direction you're going.

To you, it would feel like you were slowing down, up until the surface is moving at the same speed you are. Once this happens, it feels like you aren't moving at all. But really, you and the ice surface are traveling at the same speed.

This is what's happening with the blocks. m1 is the "surface". F has the same acceleration as m2. m2, analogous to you-standing-on-our-ice-world, is being pulled along with magnitude m3g. The surface of the ice, when it's moving the same speed as "you", must have the same acceleration as m2 for the mass on the pulley not to fall.

Ok, got u.
But still, what is the right equation?
I can't right T = ma without any regards to F. In other words, how does F affects the equation?

You get to find the right equation ^_^.

The biggest hint I can give you is that F has the same acceleration as the force acting on m2.

calef said:
You get to find the right equation ^_^.

The biggest hint I can give you is that F has the same acceleration as the force acting on m2.

So T=0?

Is there a "not answering homework" policy here? I've been thinking about this problem for hours, it's not like I'm posting my entire homework in here and telling you solve...

10x anyway.

I never thought about these problems in terms of tension--not at least until the pulley actually had friction acting on it.

But yeah, T=0.

1. What is frictionless mass and why is it important in solving problems?

Frictionless mass refers to an object or system that is moving without any resistance or friction. It is important in solving problems because it simplifies the calculations and allows for a more accurate analysis of the forces and accelerations involved.

2. How do you find the force (F) in a frictionless mass problem?

The force (F) in a frictionless mass problem can be found by using Newton's second law, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration (F=ma). In a frictionless system, there are no other forces acting on the object, so the force (F) is equal to the mass (m) times the acceleration (a).

3. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction in a frictionless mass problem?

In a frictionless mass problem, there is no friction present. However, if friction were to be introduced, there are two types of friction that could occur: static and kinetic. Static friction occurs when an object is at rest and there is a force acting on it. Kinetic friction occurs when an object is in motion and there is a force acting on it. In a frictionless mass problem, neither of these types of friction are present.

4. How do you calculate the acceleration in a frictionless mass problem?

The acceleration in a frictionless mass problem can be calculated by using Newton's second law (F=ma). Since there is no friction present, the only force acting on the object is the force (F) that is applied. This force is equal to the mass (m) of the object times the acceleration (a), so the acceleration can be determined by dividing the force by the mass (a=F/m).

5. Can you solve a frictionless mass problem using energy conservation?

Yes, it is possible to solve a frictionless mass problem using energy conservation. In a frictionless system, mechanical energy (the sum of kinetic and potential energy) is conserved, meaning it does not change over time. This allows you to set the initial mechanical energy equal to the final mechanical energy and solve for the unknown variables, such as the force (F) or acceleration (a).