Doesn't every particle distort space-time?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy causing space-time distortions and whether this applies to all particles, including photons and bosons. It is noted that in general relativity, the curvature of space-time is dependent on the inertial mass of the particle, and it is suggested that this may lead to a better understanding of supersymmetry. The conversation also brings up the idea of formulating various fields in terms of space-time distortions and their relationship to gravity.
Mike2
Since every particle from photon to proton delivers energy when it interacts, then doesn't this energy distort space-time by its energy?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Photons don't have mass, so wouldn't it be that have an average distortion of zero?

The only way a proton could distort spacetime would be indirectly. It would have to hit another particle, giving it energy, and then that particle would distort spacetime (more than it had before)

Photons do (theoretically)cause curvature in spacetime, so every particle does cause curvature in spacetime, in theory at least.

jcsd said:
Photons do (theoretically)cause curvature in spacetime, so every particle does cause curvature in spacetime, in theory at least.
Would we say that at any instant the net total curvature of a boson/photon would have to average to zero as seen from a distance so that it is not considered to have mass? Would this mean if the photon shrinked space at some points, then it would have to stretch space at other points so that the average is zero? Or does energy only curve space-time in one direction of more curvature?

Is there a clue between the type of curvature produced by bosons and fermions that might lead to a better understanding of supersymmetry?

Thanks.

No, the main problem I see is for a photon your dealing with a curvature so small as to be insignificant, but by general relstavity non-zero. I really don't think you can say that a space has an average curvature of zero, unless that space is Euclidian (i.e. has a curvature of zero), which certainly is not the case in GR for a space containing anything with inertial mass.

In general relativity the curvature is only dependnet on one thing: the inertial mass of the particle so it matters not one iota whether the particle is a fermion or a boson.

jcsd said:
No, the main problem I see is for a photon your dealing with a curvature so small as to be insignificant, but by general relstavity non-zero. I really don't think you can say that a space has an average curvature of zero, unless that space is Euclidian (i.e. has a curvature of zero), which certainly is not the case in GR for a space containing anything with inertial mass.

In general relativity the curvature is only dependnet on one thing: the inertial mass of the particle so it matters not one iota whether the particle is a fermion or a boson.
What is the "inertial mass" of a photon/boson?

I'm trying to distinguish the space-time distortions associated with bosons as opposed to fermions. We've already admitted that there must be a distortion associated with bosons since they have energy that they carry from one place to another. If all forms of particles have space-time distortions associated with them because they all are various manifestations of energy, then perhaps the various fields can be reformulated in terms of these kinds of space-time distortions. Even in string theory, the strings go through various modes of vibration. I believe this means that the waves that travel on the string represent peaks and valleys of higher and lower energy density along the string and therefore waves consisting of higher and lower space-time distortions associated with them. We are trying to unify the other force fields with gravity, aren't we? And gravity is represented as space-time distortions. So I think this is a natural question to ask.

1. What is space-time distortion?

Space-time distortion is the concept that the presence of matter and energy can cause a curvature in the fabric of space and time. This curvature is described by Einstein's theory of general relativity and is responsible for the force of gravity.

2. How do particles distort space-time?

Particles with mass or energy create a gravitational field that causes a distortion in space and time. The more massive or energetic a particle is, the stronger its gravitational influence and the greater the distortion in space-time.

3. Is every particle capable of distorting space-time?

Yes, every particle with mass or energy has the potential to create a distortion in space-time. However, the effect of this distortion may be too small to be measurable for particles with very low mass or energy.

4. How does space-time distortion affect the behavior of particles?

Space-time distortion affects the motion of particles by altering the path they take through space. In the presence of a strong gravitational field, particles will follow a curved path due to the curvature of space-time. This is why planets orbit around the sun and why objects fall towards the Earth.

5. Can space-time distortion be observed?

Yes, space-time distortion has been observed and confirmed through various experiments and observations, such as the bending of light around massive objects like stars, the gravitational redshift of light, and the detection of gravitational waves. These observations provide evidence for the existence of space-time distortion and support Einstein's theory of general relativity.