Calculating Voltage in a Time-Varying Inductance Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between current and charge density, as well as potential and inductance in a conductor. The experts provide equations and explanations for calculating voltage between rings in a coil, taking into account factors such as time variance and resistance. They also mention the importance of additional information, such as the inductance over time, in making these calculations.
Mica
Hi all,

I cann't figure out the relationship between a current and the charge density. I have a current Io which circulated in a hollow cylindrique, how can I related with the charge density?

Something like charge density = Io * ...

Thanks in advance,

Mica

Engineering news on Phys.org
A conductor has no net charge, current is just the flow
of electrons inside it. If you do have a net charge then
you need to divide it by the volume (C/ft^3). If, perhaps,
you meant current density - then you need to divide the
value of the current through a cross section area by the
size of that area (Amperes/square inch).

Live long and prosper.

Well, I'm trying to find the potentiel of an circular ring. The formula is :

V = lamda * a /(2*eo*(a2 + d2)1/2)

all the parametres are known expect one is the lamda. Lamda is the lineaire charge density so, if I know the current and should know the charge density?

Thanks,

Mica

Is your ring open or closed, and connected to something
else - a circuit or something ? If you just have charge
on a ring then there's NO current, and if there's just current
in a circuit there's NO charge to create an external potential
outside the ring. Perhaps if you describe the whole problem
I'll be able to help you more.

Live long and prosper.

Hi,

I have a coil which I will applied a current into. I want to know the voltage which circuled between the conductor rings. So, I think that if I can calculed one ring, it will be the same for other rings. Is it possible?
Thanks,

Mica

Current= charge density * velocity of the charges

Mica said:
Hi,

I have a coil which I will applied a current into. I want to know the voltage which circuled between the conductor rings. So, I think that if I can calculed one ring, it will be the same for other rings. Is it possible?
Thanks,

Mica

Perhaps this will help:
1.- Voltage = Inductance * d (Current)/dt

2.- Voltage = d (flux) / dt

If you calculate for one ring and want to calculate for the whole coil, you'll have to assume that in the coil all the current flows in a circular path, which may be a good aprox. and then integrate the whole thing

Thanks for your reply. I have found something in electronic circuit. I have saw the term that you have provided to me which is:
Voltage = Inductance * d(current)/dt but I have found the whole equation.

Inductance * d(Current)/dt + Current * d(Inductance)/dt + Resistance * Current = 0

If I decompose the terms,

Voltage = Inductance * d(current)/dt for one ring
Voltage = Resistance * Current for lost in Ohmic
Voltage = Current * d(Inductance)/dt , what is this term for or means ?

Thanks,

Mica

The equation above is for time variant Inductances. It comes from noting these:

[tex]V= \frac{d\phi}{dt} [/tex]

where V= voltage and [tex]\phi[/tex] is the flux of magnetic field. For linear inductors:

[tex]\phi= L i[/tex] where L is the inductance and i is the current

therefore

[tex]V= \frac{d\phi}{dt} = L\frac{d i}{dt}+ i \frac{d L}{dt}[/tex]

But in most situations the inductance is time invariant, therefore the second term vanishes

Last edited:
Thanks for the details. If the inductance is time variant, then how can I calculated the voltage between two rings of the coil?

Mica

I think you should have some extra information to get the [tex] \frac{dL}{dt}[/tex]. For instance, some info like [tex] L(t)[/tex]

Last edited:
eJavier said:
I think you should have some extra information to get the [tex] \frac{dL}{dt}[/tex]. For instance, some info like [tex] L(t)[/tex]

I mean to calculed the voltage between two rings, if the inductance is time variant, I have to add this term [tex] \frac{dL}{dt}[/tex]?

Mica

1. What is Ampere's law and how is it related to charge density?

Ampere's law states that the magnetic field created by an electric current is directly proportional to the current and inversely proportional to the distance from the current. This law is related to charge density because the amount of charge per unit volume, or charge density, is what determines the strength of the current and therefore the strength of the magnetic field.

2. How is charge density calculated?

Charge density is calculated by dividing the total charge by the volume in which it is contained. It is usually denoted by the symbol ρ (rho) and has units of coulombs per cubic meter (C/m^3).

3. What factors affect the charge density of a material?

The charge density of a material is affected by the number of charge carriers present, the size and shape of the material, and the material's conductivity. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and electric fields can also influence the charge density.

4. How does charge density impact the behavior of electrical currents?

Charge density plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of electrical currents. Higher charge density means a larger number of charge carriers, which leads to a stronger current. Additionally, the distribution of charge density within a material can affect the path and strength of the current.

5. Can charge density be negative?

Yes, charge density can be negative. This occurs when the material has an excess of negative charge carriers, such as in a semiconductor material. In this case, the negative charge density contributes to the overall current in the opposite direction of the positive charge carriers.