Dirac delta approximation - need an outline of a simple and routine proof

In summary: I'm happy to help with that if you're stuck.In summary, you are looking for a function that decays faster than any polynomial, is smooth or whatever else is required. You have tried to show that the following identity holds, capturing the notions that the function is rapidly decaying and that it is continuous at 0.
hooker27
Hi, I need your help with a very standard proof, I'll be happy if you give me some detailed outline - the necessary steps I must follow with some extra clues so that I'm not lost the moment I start - and I'll hopefully finish it myself. I am disappointed that I can't proof this all by myself, but I really need to move on with my work so any help here will be appreciated.

Let [tex]\theta[/tex] be a function that decays faster than any polynomial, is smooth or whatever else is required. Let

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \theta = K[/tex]

I want to show, that for all reasonable [tex]f[/tex] (continuous, smooth, bounded, ... again - whatever is required) the following identity holds

[tex]\lim_{a \rightarrow 0}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(x) \frac{1}{a}\theta\left(\frac{x}{a}\right) dx = K f(0) [/tex]

In other words - the limit

[tex]\lim_{a \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{a}\theta\left(\frac{x}{a}\right)[/tex]

is a multiple of Dirac delta, in the sense of distributions. The proof needs not to be 100% precise, even 80% precise, I need it for some little physics paper I write and physicists are seldom 100% precise (in math, anyway), but I need something a little more rigorous than "Let's assume [tex]\theta[/tex] is rectengular..." for which the proof is way too easy.

I appreciate any help, thanks in advance. This is no hw, if it's any important.

Physics news on Phys.org
What lines of attack have you tried on this? It's hard to give helpful hints without knowing where you're at on the problem!

Anyways, two high-level observations that are almost surely useful to the proof (or at least to the devising of a line of attack) are

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \theta \approx \int_{-H}^{+H} \theta[/tex]

and

[tex]f(\epsilon) \approx f(0),[/itex]

capturing the notions that [itex]\theta[/itex] is rapidly decaying and that f is continuous at 0, respectively.

(H is a 'large' positive number, [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is a 'small' positive number)

(I use the integral expressing that the tails are irrelevant, rather than something more direct like [itex]\theta(\pm H) \approx 0[/itex], because the integral actually appears in the data you've given)

Are you sure you don't want [itex]\frac{1}{a}\theta (a x)[/itex]?

1. What is the Dirac delta approximation?

The Dirac delta approximation is a mathematical concept used to approximate a function by a delta function. It is often used in physics and engineering to simplify complex equations and make them easier to solve.

2. How is the Dirac delta approximation calculated?

The Dirac delta approximation is calculated by taking the limit of a sequence of functions that approach the delta function. This can be represented mathematically as: δ(x) = lim n→∞ f_n(x), where f_n(x) is a sequence of functions.

3. What are the properties of the Dirac delta approximation?

The Dirac delta approximation has several key properties, including:

• It is infinitely tall and infinitely thin, with a total area of 1.
  • The integral of the delta function over any interval is equal to 1.
  • The delta function is even, meaning δ(x) = δ(-x).

4. How is the Dirac delta approximation used in practical applications?

The Dirac delta approximation is commonly used in physics and engineering to model physical phenomena, such as point masses or point charges. It is also used in signal processing to represent impulses or spikes in a signal.

5. Can you provide a simple proof of the Dirac delta approximation?

Yes, a simple proof of the Dirac delta approximation can be done using the properties of the delta function and the definition of the limit. However, the proof may vary depending on the specific context and application of the approximation.