Vista & External Drive: Tips for Connecting

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive
In summary, the conversation is about a LaCie hard drive that works fine with XP, but is not recognized by Vista. The person is seeking tips on how to fix this issue and has tried different USB ports and computers, but still has no luck. They suggest moving back to XP and mention checking the computer management or control panel to see if the hard drive is recognized. They also provide a link for further troubleshooting.
Andre
There are probably earlier threads about this, but I couldn't locate them quickly, so risking to be redundant with the question but ..

.. my daughter bought herself a LaCie 500gig harddrive for unlimited movie looking. The gadget works fine with XP, but Vista ignores it completely.

Any tips?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Ignores it completely? As in, there's no system response like an error beep or anything when you plug the USB cable in?

Right,m no response whatsoever, that is the drive starts to make more noise but Vista is completely silent.

Was it on the same computer but different OS you plugged the drive in, or a different computer? Maybe the USB port is faulty?

Tried all the USB ports as well also another Vista laptop, no joy. The hard disk has it's own power source, so that can't be the problem either.

move back to XP! :biggrin:

see if

computer management (or control panel) -- > disk management recognizes it

see this too
http://tim.mackey.ie/VistaDriverProblemsFormacUSBHardDrive.aspx

1. How do I connect an external drive to my Vista computer?

To connect an external drive to a Vista computer, start by plugging in the power cord to the external drive and then connecting the USB cable to both the external drive and the computer. Once connected, wait for the computer to recognize the drive and it should appear in the list of available drives in "My Computer".

2. Can I use an external drive with Vista to store files?

Yes, you can use an external drive with Vista to store files. Once connected, the external drive will appear as a separate drive in "My Computer" and you can save files to it just like you would with any other drive on your computer.

3. Is it possible to use an external drive with Vista to backup my computer?

Yes, you can use an external drive with Vista to backup your computer. Most external drives come with backup software that you can install on your computer to schedule automatic backups or you can manually copy and paste important files onto the external drive.

4. Can I transfer data from my Vista computer to an external drive?

Yes, you can transfer data from your Vista computer to an external drive. You can do this by simply copying and pasting the files or folders you want to transfer onto the external drive. You can also use backup software to transfer data from your computer to the external drive.

5. Will my external drive be compatible with Vista?

In most cases, yes, your external drive will be compatible with Vista. However, it is always a good idea to check the specifications of the external drive to make sure it is compatible with your specific Vista computer. You can also check with the manufacturer for any updates or drivers that may be needed for compatibility.

Back