1-D wave-equation and change of variables

In summary, Niles is trying to find a way to solve for 2 u = 2 a - 2 b where a and b are two different variables.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

I have the 1-D wave-equation, and I wish to make a change of variables, where a = x+ct and b = x-ct. I get:

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
c^2 \frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial x^2 }} = c^2 \left[ {\frac{{d^2 u}}{{da^2 }}\left( {\frac{{da}}{{dx}}} \right)^2 + \frac{{du}}{{da}}\frac{{d^2 a}}{{dx^2 }}} \right] + c^2 \left[ {\frac{{d^2 u}}{{db^2 }}\left( {\frac{{db}}{{dx}}} \right)^2 + \frac{{du}}{{db}}\frac{{d^2 b}}{{dx^2 }}} \right] = c^2 \frac{{d^2 u}}{{da^2 }} + c^2 \frac{{d^2 u}}{{db^2 }} \\
\frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial t^2 }} = \left[ {\frac{{d^2 u}}{{da^2 }}\left( {\frac{{da}}{{dt}}} \right)^2 + \frac{{du}}{{da}}\frac{{d^2 a}}{{dt^2 }}} \right] + \left[ {\frac{{d^2 u}}{{db^2 }}\left( {\frac{{db}}{{dt}}} \right)^2 + \frac{{du}}{{db}}\frac{{d^2 b}}{{dt^2 }}} \right] = c^2 \frac{{d^2 u}}{{da^2 }} + c^2 \frac{{d^2 u}}{{db^2 }} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

For this I have used the chain rule for higher derivates (for second derivates, from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_rule). The result I wish to get is:

[tex]
\frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial a\partial b}} = 0
[/tex]

I can't quite see how I would get this. Am I on the right track here?

Cheers,
Niles.EDIT: Ok, now this is the second thread in a row I am doing this: I preview the thread, and the title resets itself. The original title was: "1-D wave-equation and change of variables". If a moderator can insert the proper title, I would be grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've changed the title. Thanks for letting us know that it was the preview that causes the problem.

Ok, my first attempt is quite bad. Instead of using the expression from Wikipedia, I can just derive du/dx and du/dt with respect to dx and dt, respectively. But still, this gives me:

[tex]
c^2 \frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial x\partial a}} + c^2 \frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial x\partial b}} = c\frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial t\partial a}} - c\frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial t\partial b}}
[/tex]

Is it possible to go from this to

[tex]

\frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial a\partial b}} = 0

[/tex]
?

1. What is the 1-D wave equation and how is it used in science?

The 1-D wave equation is a mathematical model used to describe the propagation of waves in one dimension. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to study phenomena such as sound, light, and water waves.

2. Can the 1-D wave equation be solved analytically or does it require numerical methods?

The 1-D wave equation can be solved analytically for simple cases, such as a single wave traveling through a homogeneous medium. However, for more complex scenarios, numerical methods are often used to approximate solutions.

3. How does a change of variables affect the 1-D wave equation?

A change of variables can transform the 1-D wave equation into a different form, making it easier to solve or analyze. For example, a change of variables can help to separate the equation into simpler parts or eliminate certain parameters.

4. What are some real-world applications of the 1-D wave equation?

The 1-D wave equation has many practical applications, including predicting the behavior of seismic waves in earthquake-prone areas, designing efficient sound barriers for noise control, and modeling electromagnetic waves in communication systems.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions associated with the 1-D wave equation?

Like any mathematical model, the 1-D wave equation has certain limitations and assumptions. For example, it assumes that the medium through which the wave travels is homogeneous and has a constant velocity. It also neglects factors such as damping and dispersion, which can affect the behavior of waves in real-world situations.