From Hamiltonian to Lagrangian 1

In summary, the problem involves finding the corresponding Lagrangian for a given Hamiltonian, using relations between generalized coordinates and canonical momenta. The solution involves writing the Hamiltonian function in general form and solving for the Lagrangian using the given equations.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[tex]H = p_1p_2 + q_1q_2[/tex]

Find the corresponding Lagrangian, [itex]q_i[/itex] are generelized coordinates and
[itex]p_i[/itex] are canonical momenta.

Homework Equations

[tex]H = \dot{q}_ip_i - L[/tex]

[tex] p_i = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_i}[/tex]

[tex] \dot{q}_i = \frac{\partial H}{\partial p_i}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using these relations, I found:

[tex]L = \dot{q}_ip_i - H[/tex]

[tex]L = p_1p_2 + p_2p_1 - p_1p_2 + q_1q_2 = p_1p_2 - q_1q_2 = [/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_1}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_2}-q_1q_2 [/tex]

Am I supposed to solve this nasty PDE? Or have I forgot something really fundamental?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I had missed something fundamental, its solved now

Hi,

it is only a bagatelle, but if you write the Hamilton function in generel, not for a concret case, then you schould write it like that:

[tex] \mathcal{H}(q_{1} \ldots q_{s}, p_{1} \ldots p_{s}, t) = \sum\limits_{i=1}^{s} p_{i} \dot{q}_{i} - \mathcal{L}(q_{1} \ldots q_{s}, \dot{q}_{1} \ldots \dot{q}_{s},t)[/tex]

[tex] & s = 3N-m \text{ with N dimensions and m constraints}[/tex]

all the best

I know, I already listed that eq. under "relevant eq's".

Aslo I have solved the problem, no need to post.

Also, it seems I can't marked this thread as solved in the "old way", why is that?

1. What is the difference between Hamiltonian and Lagrangian mechanics?

Hamiltonian mechanics and Lagrangian mechanics are two different mathematical and theoretical frameworks used to describe the behavior of physical systems. The main difference between them is that Hamiltonian mechanics is based on the concept of energy conservation, while Lagrangian mechanics is based on the principle of least action.

2. How do you convert from Hamiltonian to Lagrangian?

To convert from Hamiltonian to Lagrangian, you can use the Hamiltonian equations of motion and solve for the Lagrangian. This involves finding the partial derivatives of the Hamiltonian with respect to the generalized coordinates and momenta, and then manipulating these equations to solve for the Lagrangian.

3. What is the significance of the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian in physics?

The Hamiltonian and Lagrangian are important concepts in physics because they provide a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems. They are used in a wide range of fields, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetism.

4. How are Hamiltonian and Lagrangian mechanics related to each other?

Hamiltonian and Lagrangian mechanics are closely related, as they both use the same principles to describe the behavior of physical systems. In fact, the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian are related by a mathematical transformation known as the Legendre transformation, which allows one to be derived from the other.

5. Can Hamiltonian mechanics be used to solve all problems in classical mechanics?

While Hamiltonian mechanics is a powerful tool for solving many problems in classical mechanics, it is not always the most efficient or appropriate approach. In some cases, Lagrangian mechanics may be more useful, or other mathematical techniques may be needed. It is important to understand the strengths and limitations of both Hamiltonian and Lagrangian mechanics in order to choose the best approach for a given problem.