Calculating Weight of Collar in Equilibrium with Spring Force

In summary, the problem involves a collar attached to a spring on a frictionless vertical rod. The spring has a constant of 4lb/in and is initially unstretched at h=12in. When the collar is in equilibrium at h=16in, we are asked to determine the weight of the collar. After some discussion and calculations, it is determined that the weight of the collar is 9.7lbs.

Homework Statement

Collar A can slide on a frictionless vertical rod and is attached as shown to a spring. The constant of the spring is 4lb/in., and the spring is unstretched when h=12in. Knowing that the system is in equilibrium when h=16in., determine the weight of the collar.

Home-made diagram:

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/9642/staticsuc5.th.png

Homework Equations

F=-kx
k=4lb/in
x=16in-12in=4in
F=-kx=-(4lb/in)*(4in)=16lbs

The Attempt at a Solution

With the pulley, the spring would still be carrying 100% of the collar's weight.

16lbs for the collar weight can't be the answer, can it?

Any help would be appreciated, it's been a while since I've taken a course in physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi 838,

838 said:

Homework Statement

Collar A can slide on a frictionless vertical rod and is attached as shown to a spring. The constant of the spring is 4lb/in., and the spring is unstretched when h=12in. Knowing that the system is in equilibrium when h=16in., determine the weight of the collar.

Home-made diagram:

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/9642/staticsuc5.th.png

Homework Equations

F=-kx
k=4lb/in
x=16in-12in=4in
F=-kx=-(4lb/in)*(4in)=16lbs

The Attempt at a Solution

With the pulley, the spring would still be carrying 100% of the collar's weight.

If the string were pulling vertically upwards, then the spring force would be equal to the collar's weight.

However, in this case there is another force besides the spring force and gravity that must be canceled for the collar to be in equilibrium. What is that force?

Do you now see how to relate the spring force and the weight?

Last edited by a moderator:
The tension force from the rope?

Also, the pulley would cut the tension in half, so there would be 8lbs on each side, correct?

The angle that the pulley (B) makes with the collar (A) is 53.13 degrees, so would I break it into x and y components? Ah, no, that makes no sense.

I am thoroughly confused, this is probably an extremely simple problem that I'm just complicating.

838 said:
The tension force from the rope?

Also, the pulley would cut the tension in half, so there would be 8lbs on each side, correct?

With the pulley massless and frictionless, the tension along the rope will be the same and equal to the spring force. So the question is how to relate the tension force to the weight.

The angle that the pulley (B) makes with the collar (A) is 53.13 degrees, so would I break it into x and y components?

That's the right idea. The tension is pulling on the collar at an angle. So it's pulling up and to the right. If you draw a free body diagram and apply Newton's law to the horizontal and vertical directions, you can see how the different forces cancel each other out.

In other words, once you have the vertical and horizontal components of the tension, what other force is the vertical component counteracting, and what other force is the horizontal component counteracting?

Ok, so I've split the force components. 6.4lbs in the y direction, and 4.8lbs in the x direction.

The vertical component is opposing gravity and the horizontal component is opposingthe bar that is holding the collar? This seems like it would make sense, since the system would be in equilibrium when all these forces cancel.

Would the collar weigh 6.4lbs?

838 said:
Ok, so I've split the force components. 6.4lbs in the y direction, and 4.8lbs in the x direction.

The vertical component is opposing gravity and the horizontal component is opposingthe bar that is holding the collar? This seems like it would make sense, since the system would be in equilibrium when all these forces cancel.

Would the collar weigh 6.4lbs?

The tension is not cut in half by the pulley; it's magnitude is equal to the spring force (16 lbs). What then are the [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] components?

alphysicist said:
The tension is not cut in half by the pulley; it's magnitude is equal to the spring force (16 lbs). What then are the [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] components?

Ah, my mistake, I wrote 8lbs on my paper and neglected to erase.

x comp=16*sin(36.86)=9.6lbs
y comp=16*cos(36.86)=12.8lbs

So the collar weighs 12.8lbs.

838 said:
Ah, my mistake, I wrote 8lbs on my paper and neglected to erase.

x comp=16*sin(36.86)=9.6lbs
y comp=16*cos(36.86)=12.8lbs

So the collar weighs 12.8lbs.

I was looking over how you got the force of 16lbs in the first place, and I think that's not quite right. The stretch in the spring is related to the change in the length of the hypotenuse.

However, the 4in increase is the increase in the length of the vertical leg. Using the Pythagorean theorem on the before and after triangle will let you find the change in length of the hypotenuse, and it's that change that will represent the stretch of the spring.

Once you find the new force (which will be somewhat less than 16lbs), I believe you can follow the same procedure as above and get the correct answer.

So, the hypotenuse BA when h=12 is 16.97, and when h=16 it is 20.

To find the spring force, F=-k(xo-xf) =-4lb/in(16.97in-20in)=12.12lbs
Now, to find the angle, which would be sin([tex]\theta[/tex])=12/20 so, [tex]\theta[/tex] = 36.869 degrees.

Now, splitting components, y=12.12*cos(36.869)=9.696lbs = vertical force.
x=12.12*sin(36.869)=7.32lbs = horizontal force.

So the weight of the collar should be 9.7lbs.

Thank you so much for your input. I'm sorry I'm a little slow when it comes to physics, like I said, it's been a while.

1. What is statics with spring force?

Statics with spring force is a branch of physics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in equilibrium when acted upon by a spring force. It involves analyzing the forces acting on an object and determining the conditions for the object to remain at rest.

2. How is spring force calculated in statics?

The spring force in statics is calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. The formula for spring force is F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

3. What is the significance of the spring constant in statics?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of the spring and determines how much force is required to produce a certain displacement. In statics, the spring constant is used to calculate the spring force and analyze the equilibrium of an object.

4. How does the direction of the spring force affect static equilibrium?

The direction of the spring force is crucial in determining the static equilibrium of an object. The spring force must be balanced by an equal and opposite force in order for the object to remain at rest. If the spring force is not balanced, the object will experience a net force and will either accelerate or rotate.

5. How is static equilibrium affected by changes in the spring constant?

Changes in the spring constant can affect the static equilibrium of an object in two ways. First, a higher spring constant means that more force is required to produce the same displacement, so the object may be more difficult to keep in equilibrium. Second, a change in the spring constant can also affect the balance of forces on an object, leading to a change in the equilibrium position.